Master Slave Clocks

May 20, 2002
How did these "slaved" clocks be controlled? Did it use a "Positive / Negative impulse" type system, as used in older K-12 schools? How often did it "resync" with the master? Was the master analog or digital-mechanical? It seems to me that the sync and advance signals must have been a pseudo-digital signal (such as a pulse every second or minute), but I could be wrong.

M

Matt Pereira

well i cant make a new thread so ill make the post here. I found on the THS site a Turbine room clock and im curious is that a exact reproduction of the turbine room clock?

Also did it say launched in belfast 31 may 1911 on the real turbine room clock?

Im just curious cause i was thinking bout buying it but will only do so if its a exact reproduction of it.

Bryan Ciobanu

Apr 22, 2005
Hi all

I am working on a diagram/plan of the phones etc, on the aft wall in the Wheel House.

Fist of all I would like to know what kind of phones were used on the Titanic.

Is it this model?: http://www.copperas.com/titanic/Fig135.jpg

I have seen telephones recovered from the wreck, that did not look like the one above, so that is why I am unsure.

Second of all: The two square boxes, on both sides of the right Clock in the Wheel house.
What are those?

I refer to this picture of that area on the Olympic: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/titanic/images/telephones.jpg

Finally: Which of the two clocks on the bridge would show the "Ships time", and which clock showed the "New York Time"?

Regards
Bryan

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Bryan, the telephone instruments provided for use by the deck and engineering crew were all of the same basic type but they didn't all look exactly the same. The illustrations in your links are correct for those installed on the bridge. Those installed in the crows nest and open deck areas were of a more compact design, and you may have seen one of those among the artifacts recovered from the wreck. Also there was a completely different type of phone used in passenger service areas and some staterooms, which used a one-piece handset of domestic type.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
Bryan: There were two clocks in the wheelhouse as confirmed by QM Hichens. They both may have been slaves of the two master clocks that were in the chart room. It was in the wireless cabin that they had two clocks with one set to ship's time and the other set to GMT when the ship was east of 40°W, and set to NY time when the ship was west of 40°W. The reason for having a clock set to GMT or NY time in the wireless cabin was because all wireless messages were logged in either GMT or NY time so all messages can be correlated. Ship time would be different on each ship since that depended on the ship's longitude at local apparent noon for the day the clock was set for.

Bryan Ciobanu

Apr 22, 2005
Thank you Samuel.

So It is not known which of the two clocks showed the Ships time, and which clock showed NY Time/British Summer?

Thank you once again.

Bryan.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
Bryan, what I said was there were two clocks in the wheelhouse which were probably slaves of the two master clocks in the chart room. Neither of those would have been on NY or British time. If there is someone that has information that suggests otherwise, please come forth. On a separate note, I don't believe the concept of summer time was invented yet.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The concept of summer time had been invented many years earlier (by old Ben Franklin, I believe) and the British parliament had considered introducing the change in 1908, but it wasn't approved - notionally as a wartime measure - until 1916.

A

Andrew Williams

The so-called (British summer time) didn't properly come into force until the Second World War. I should know because my late Dad as a teenager, was partly involved with this.

The purpose of extending the hour (during the real mid-summer season, this extra hour was put forward up to anything by five hours ahead) wasn't to help the industrial output, but more so to help the farmers to produce more food for the war effort.

Then, my Dad was nearly reaching his teens and every spare hands available including those in their teens was put to work, working the land.

Hope this helps.

A.W.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The modification introduced in 1940 was not BST but DBST (Double British Summer Time). During the War years we were 1 hour ahead of GMT in the winters and 2 hours ahead in the summers. When the War ended we reverted to the standard seasonal change between BST and GMT.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Yes, Dave, but we at least have figured out that when it's Christmas it must be winter. Unlike some I could mention. :)

A

Andrew Williams

>>>Unlike some I could mention. :) I know precisely what you mean Bob.

I am constantly remind that the weather is bright and boiling hot 'down under'.

Yee Gods, it make ya sick to listen to it, especially during the long break cold winter months in Britain. Some people certainly how to rub your nose in it.

Still Bob, look at it this way, we're starting to get longer days and it won't be long before we'll be having the long hot boiling days ahead us.

Remember the motto Bob - The sun would always set upon the British Empire.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Not quite, Andrew - the sun supposedly never set on the British Empire! It just never got to shining very brightly on this bit. Moving to Oz is an attractive proposition, but these days it costs too much to get there. Not like in our parents' time, when you just needed to produce a tenner. Or in our great grandparents' time, when all you had to do was steal a loaf of bread. :)

A

Andrew Williams

What can I say Bob. I was born in the wrong era, not quite though.

In fact, back in 1960 my family almost did move to Oz.

Bryan Ciobanu

Apr 22, 2005
Thank you all.

So Samuel, you are saying that both clocks showed the Ships time?, That does sound quite strange, why two clocks, a few feet away from each other, if they show the same time?

Do anybody have any idea about those two boxes next to one of the clocks?

Bryan.