Master Slave Clocks

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
Bryan: One clock would surely have been on ship's time. The other I was speculating about since it is known that two master clocks were carried on board. If I am right, and I do say IF, then they both would show the same time. I was hoping that someone else may have more information about this.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Sam,

quote:

it is known that two master clocks were carried on board. If I am right, and I do say IF, then they both would show the same time. I was hoping that someone else may have more information about this.
The electro-magnetic master clock (on Olympic at least) was in the chart room. The clock did not show seconds, only minutes, and was in a weatherproof case. Captain Smith is on record as saying ‘when the minute hand comes to past the line of the minute, the effect is that the finger moves and that releases the contact, and the whole [hand] goes with a jump.’ Smith also said ‘We have two [master clocks]. They have a large system in the ship, and they put in two [clocks] to work the whole lot.’ That implies to me that they kept the same time and there were two clocks because of the number of clocks onboard. There was a wheelhouse clock too. I'm a bit of an idiot as far as this topic is concerned, that's the only information I have to hand -- make of it what you will.

Best wishes,

Mark.​

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Am I right in thinking that in Bryan's linked photograph which shows the telephones and clock, the instrument in line with the telephones (which looks rather like another clock) is the barometer?

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
Mark: Thanks for the information with Smith's explanation. If I am right, the ship had 48 slave clocks work off these masters. I think I read somewhere that one of these masters could actually control up to 100 slaves, but that's another story.

Bob: You may be right about the instrument between the phones being a barometer. Expanding the picture, it doesn't look like a clock face to me. My mentioning of there being two clocks in the wheelhouse comes from Hichens' testimony.
BI 944. Were there two clocks in the wheelhouse? - Yes.

Jan 5, 2001
Yes indeed.

As regards to two wheelhouse clocks, on Olympic Smith always referred to the 'wheelhouse clock' using the singular rather than the plural. Whether he was merely refering to one of two, whether Titanic's wheelhouse clock arrangement was different...well, how can we know?

Best wishes,

Mark.

Bryan Ciobanu

Apr 22, 2005
Hi all.

The "diagram" is now finished, well the telephone part is.

Tell me what you think,
Warning! It is an amateur work, and it quite simple. And it is minimized because of the great size...

View Image

Bryan.

Bryan Ciobanu

Apr 22, 2005
Thanks Bob.

I was wondering about the wall, what color is it?

On the Olympic, it seems to be natural colored wood.

Was it white on the Titanic?

Bryan A.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Bryan, I've seen a photo of the apparatus in my copy of Falling Star. It's one of the few known photos taken of any part of the Titanic's bridge. I'd have to look it over for comparison, but it looks to me like you got most if not all of it right.