Masters of the Sea

Apr 25, 2010
Hello, I have just found information about my Grandfather, Captain William Beastall Wilkinson. I believe that he was the sole survivor of Cunard flyer "Etruria" Does anyone have any other information on this subject? He died in Mauritius in 1938. I have been unable to get much on the wreck Thanks Lorraine Murphy

Jun 11, 2010
hello Lorraine, my husbands father was commodore Horatio McKay who served with Cunard for 40 years , during my research i understood the Etruria was eventually sent for scrap ?i would be interested to know if you are right! thanks ELIZABETH MCKAY

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Elizabeth, I have since found out that the ship that sunk was "SS Alpha" Dec 1900 on yellow rock island off the coast of Vancouver BC. I have managed to collect some info from the Vancouver Maritime Museum which has clarified this story. I still do not know where my Naval and Merchant sea captain grandfather, William Beastall Wilkinson has died. He mysteriously dissappeared in 1930 and presumed to have died in Mauritius. Have you heard of this captain in your search? Lorraine

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Elizabeth, I have since found out that my Grandfather, William Beastall Wilkinson was 1st mate on "SS Alpha" that went down off Yellow Rock Lighthouse off the coast of Vancouver BC in Dec 1900. I have a few newspaper articles on this tradegy but I am looking for more information on WBW as he disappeared in 1930 and was arrested in Sydney before sailing out for the last time. We believe that he may have died in Mauritius in 1938 but have no evidence of this. Do you have anything at all on him or any site that we may visit to help our research. Thanks Lorraine Murphy