Mauretania chief engineer

Allan Isaacs

Feb 11, 2006
I was always told that my great grandad, who was James Murray, was chief engineer on the Mauritania. He was born in 1850 and the last photo I have shows him in Cunard uniform with 4-rings. I suppose he's just about the right age to have been on the ship on its record breaking trips. Can anyone shed any light on this?
101872.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
K

Kyle Johnstone

Hello Allan,

Your great granddad is not listed amongst the list of Mauretania's chief engineers in the book MAURETANIA by Humphry Jordan

James Murray would have been 57 years old at the time of the Mauretania's maiden voyage...almost ready for retirement!

No doubt he was an engineer with Cunard, per the wonderful portrait. Other than Mauretania, do you know for sure what ships he served on?

How cool to have an ancestor with such a history.

Allan Isaacs

Feb 11, 2006
I've no real idea on which ships he sailed Kyle.
I think he moved to Liverpool from Scotland around 1874. Here's two more pictures.The two photos were taken in New york and New Jersey so he was certainly on the Atlantic run from Liverpool to New York.
101881.jpg
101882.jpg

Oct 31, 2008
Hi, how would i be able to find details of my grandfather who was a chief stewards on the mauretuina, we believe around 1935-45, any help on the subject would be great. with thanks lynn

Garry Davies

Feb 19, 2017
Hello Allan,

Your great granddad is not listed amongst the list of Mauretania's chief engineers in the book MAURETANIA by Humphry Jordan

James Murray would have been 57 years old at the time of the Mauretania's maiden voyage...almost ready for retirement!

No doubt he was an engineer with Cunard, per the wonderful portrait. Other than Mauretania, do you know for sure what ships he served on?

How cool to have an ancestor with such a history.
My grandad was Henry Parker do you know if he was listed as engineer on this ship