Mauretania end of service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Usher

Oct 26, 2004
I remember seeing a picture of the Mauretania and the Olympic layed up in a dock ready for scrapping. I know that the interiors from the Olympic are in a hotel in Alnick in the north east. I would like to know some information about where the ships were broke up, etc. Does anybody know any information about this? Anything at all please.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
After an auction in to sell all fittings and furnishings, Mauretania was removed from Berth 108 and travelled North to Rosyth, Scotland to be dismantled. She left Southampton on July 1st and arrived at Rosyth on July 4th. Her last turn was to port after passing under the Firth of Forth Railway Bridge, for which her masts had been shortened (although she still proudly flew a Blue Ribband from her aft mast). She was scrapped in part at least by the Hughes Bolckow Shipbreaking Company LTD. in Blyth, Northumberland in 1935-36.
A number of souvenirs were produced from her metal and wood.
There is the Mauretania Pub in Bristol, and there is also a hotel - in St. Louis I think - that has a good deal of woodwork from her public rooms.

Best,
Eric

Adam Usher

Oct 26, 2004
Could you tell me about the Olympic, i know that her fittings are in a hotel in Alnwick in the north east. I must go and see them sometime next year

adam gratwick

Oct 14, 2004
Some fittings from the Mauretania turned up at an auction at Great Tew . The auction consisted of the contents from the estate buildings of Great Tew Park and there was around 30 lots from the Mauretania mostly panelling and columns but also interesting items such as the handrail from the 1st class staircase,parts of the smoking room and 1st class lounge. I purchased a large quantity of walnut panelling and the ceiling minus dome from the 1st class reception area along with a section of curved mahogany and gilt cornice from the lounge. The rest was sold to a local cabinet maker either to be used in a house he was building or as materials for his business!.

adam gratwick

Oct 14, 2004
The auction was about 5 years ago and was not very well advertised - i was told about it by a client who lived locally. the item i most regret not buying was a tea chest full of carved capitals in wood and bronze all marked on the reverse with the room they came from.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
No wonder I have never heard of the auction before! Being not well advertised, was the prices low?

adam gratwick

Oct 14, 2004
The pieces I purchased were for nothing - £320.00 for the panelling,£80.00 for the ceiling and £10.00 for the section of lounge cornice. the other items were,from a slightly foggy memory, £80.00 for the handrail, around £350.00 for the tea chest of carved capitals,£400.00 for the columns (there were several lots of these and they were all made up in four sections with a thin bead to cover the joint). The rest of the lots were mixed sections of panelling including the lounge and dining room but not big enough to use ( around £150.00 per lot) and cornicing in oak (around £250.00 per lot). One item I failed to recognise at the time were the carved ends to the benches that were either side of the door into the 1st class smoking room. They were carved with a fish scale design which was repeated on some of the columns. there's a clear picture of them in one of the Mauretainia books but i cant remember which one.

adam gratwick

Oct 14, 2004
All the lots sold as it was unreserved and the local cabinet maker purchased all the lots that I didn't buy. When I can get to the back of my store room I will take some pictures and post them.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
LOL! What a waste - the remaining lots will be turned into parts of modern furniture - and lost in history!

Maybe the furniture maker should do "Mauretania" cabinets!

adam gratwick

Oct 14, 2004
I don't know if he has used it all or not . He came across as a bit of a difficult person to deal with. I had to work hard to get one of the columns he had purchased in a lot that belonged to the panelling I purchased. not all of the wood he purchased was destined to become furniture as his intention was to use the handrail in a house he was building . I enquired what use he had for all the columns and he said that he has a lot of jobs making surrounds to baths and they would go either side of the arched opening !!!!!. At least they will be near water.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
"At least they will be near water."
ROFL
happy.gif

Best,
Eric

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
LOL!

Hope he recognises the historical significance and provenance of the bath surrounds he installed!
grin.gif

adam gratwick

Oct 14, 2004
I have finally managed to get to the fittings i have from the Mauretania . They show the panelling of which there is about 60 feet ,the ceiling ,various columns and a curved length of lounge cornice. all a bit dusty but can just see the detail.
95726.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.