Mauretania Forth Bridge Photograph

Apr 23, 2002
Mucking about in Photoshop once more, I decided to depict Mauretania from a distance at Rosyth passing under the Forth Bridge. What do u think?

Apr 23, 2002
A photo of the Bridge and another picture of the Mauretania with the background removed, so it looks as though she is sailing under the bridge.

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Great photo!

Only thing I see wrong with it is that the painting depicting this scene (hung in the tourist class smoking room of Queen Mary) shows massive clouds of billowing black smoke rising from her funnels.

Apr 23, 2002
Just a small bit of information for thos of you who didnt know, the scene depicted in the pic I posted above was 67 years ago today.

N

Nathan Good

That is great work! Keep it up, I look forward to seeing your creations.

All the best,

Nathan

Apr 23, 2002
I was wondering if any of you have the book, RMS Queen Mary; Transatlantic Masterpiece
by Janette McCutcheon?
In the book there is a page with the painting of Mauretania at the Forth Bridge.
There is also a PHOTOGRAPH of almost the exact same scene wit ha view of Mauretania's Port side.
I was wondering if any of you could scan it and mail me it at [email protected]

Thanks.

Scott Reigel

Jul 26, 2002
Nice little soft cover book. Picked it up from Amazon a couple of weeks ago for less than $18.00. Has some of the same photos we've seen before, but several others that aren't too common. Worth picking up IMHO.

--SDR

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi,
I have a rather scarce real photo postcard that matches this image quite nicely - taken July 3rd, 1935.

Best,
Eric2
happy.gif

90468.jpg

(C) Eric Longo Image Collection

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Mr. Standart,
yes, it was taken July 3rd, 1935 as she arrived at the breakers right before making her last turn - last moments under her own power actually. It was the masts that were cut down so she would fit under the Firth of Forth Railway Bridge, which is visible on the left. She is flying her "Blue Ribband" aft, for the last time. The image is a bit better - not the best scan.

Best,
Billy
happy.gif

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi,
here she is rusting away at Berth 108 in 1935. Way in the distance is Olympic. Sad end indeed.

Best,
Eric2

90530.jpg

(C) Eric Longo Image Collection

Apr 11, 2001
Oh, these were painful to look at, the poor old gal at the end of the line- I always wished she, instead of the Queen Mary were tied up in Long Beach! For my money, the Maury was the sleekest liner silhouette ever built in her era. I see ebay has a lot of wooden ware items from candlesticks to napkin rings made of her teak decking- I may weaken and bid on the candlesticks!

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Shelley,
Yes, it is sad to see these liners like this. As far as scrap items - I have a really nice teak barrel - the larger variety - made from Mauretania with the little plaque, if you are interested. Much scarcer than the 2" version from what I have seen.

Best,
Eric2

jimmy cozad

Apr 11, 2006
hey greg i just got back from long beach i was wondering the image that you are looking for is it the one where shes is heading to the scrappers if so i took a photo of the painting of her aboard the queen mary in long beach it of her as shes heading to the scrappers also got a postcard of the same images email me at [email protected] if you want a copy of my photo its high res or have somthing to trade for this new postcard