Mauretania II

Bryan Ricks

Oct 13, 2004
Was the Mauretania II a Royal Mail ship? If not then she wouldn't carry the RMS prefix.

The reason I ask is that I have a silver bon bon tray and am trying to determine if it came from the 1st or 2nd ship.
It has a raised Cunard Crest with the name RMS Mauretania.

Although I would like it to be from the original Maury, I suspect it's from #2.

Bryan

Bryan Ricks

Oct 13, 2004
Thanks Mark,
That's what I thought. I was hoping to find an easy way to authenticate what ship this tray was from.

Bryan

Nov 23, 1996
If you can upload A picture of this Item I could give you a rough idea of the time period that it was produced as the Cunard Steamship line changed its how is crest design was engraved over the years and the Crest engravings on the original pieces from the 1900's through 1915 differ from once's from 1919 - 1934 and so on and so forth.

So if you can see the crest you can in most cases date the piece based on the engraved design used.

Regards:

Steve

Brent Holt

Jun 23, 2002
I have recently developed an interest in the Second Mauretania. Unfortunately, it is difficult to find much detailed info about her. I have the Shipbuilder reprint and it has some good info, but I am surprised that more has not been written about her. I know the first Maury always seemed to steal the spotlight, but the latter ship was a fine liner in her own right. She had nice lines and a successful career. I wish someone would write a book on her. The "new" Mauretania deserves it. (I wish Cunard would reuse the name soon)

Brent

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Brent,

I've also got an interest for Mauretania II, but I'm not really sure why more information has not been written about her. The only things I've been able to find on her so far, are a few nice postcards.

Agreed, she was a beautiful ship and she had a great career. I would also be very interested in seeing a book about her; it's one I would definitely purchase.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Here are my postcards of the Mauretania II, that I thought I'd share. Hope you enjoy them.

mauretania_ii_copy1.jpg

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I found this one earlier this year, in an antique market. What's interesting about it is that, someone is writing to a friend or a relative (not sure which) about her husband being a Quartermaster on the ship. It's dated May 28, 1958; seven years before she was sold for scrap.

r.m.s._mauretania_ii.jpg

Daniel Cox

Apr 5, 2004
Ive too always loved the Maurentania II (i even have a large coloured deckplan) and think she is a very handsom liner.

Looking at her and how much she resembles the larger Lizzie , its like a movie "Honey i shrunk the Queen Elizabeth"
happy.gif

Nov 23, 1996
Most of the Images I have of the Mauretania II of 1938 still have questions of copyright.

So the best I can do for now is post a couple of images of the Cunard Travel Agency Artwork that I currently have in my personnel collection.

The New Mauretannia - Travel Agency Poster Board Print C. 1938

S.Anderson Collection, 2005
99175.jpg

Nov 23, 1996
Another Cunard Travel Agency Poster however this one is in the closet as it is damaged - obtained for collection this way.

he New Mauretania C. 1938
S. Anderson Collection
99178.jpg

Nov 23, 1996
And another famous image from the Cunard "Getting there is Half the Fun" series of the mid-1950's

A original Cunard Line issued print of the Mauretania.

Mauretania - "Getting there is half the Fun" c.1955
S. Anderson Collection C. 1955
99181.jpg

Chris Winter

Dec 27, 2006
I heard somewhere that there is a reprint of one of the shipbuilder books about the second Mauretania, showing photos, blueprints etc. Does anyone know the validity of this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Bill West

Dec 14, 2005
Right on my shelf, “The Second Mauretania 1939-65” by Mark D Warren, Patrick Stephens Ltd 1989, ISBN 1-85260-233-3. Reprinted from “The Shipbuilder and Marine Engine-builder”, June 1939. About 140 pages, 11x14 inches, £25 when new, 8 colour postcards on the rear dust jacket. Abebooks.com shows two very expensive US$190+ copies available.

I wasn’t even aware that there was a second Mauretania until I saw this, silly me. Having already read the earlier “Queen Mary” reprint in detail I was intrigued by the great similarity in styling tastes and marine technology between the two ships, very much a mini-Queen in those regards.

Bill