Mauretania II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Usher

Sep 27, 2007
Hi everyone,

Was the Mauretania II registered in the UK and does anyone know what the number was or how I can find out?

The lifeboat I am restoring is reputed to have come from the Mauretania II and is engraved on the port side with the number 5680 54 PERSONS and on the starboard below a Board of Trade stamp there are the numbers 3 45 and below that an 8. Any thoughts?

Musher

K

Kyle Johnstone

Hello Martin,

The second Mauretania was UK registered Liverpool.

According to the Shipbuilder, at the time of her entry to service, she had 24 lifeboats.

2 30' motor lifeboats capacity 45 ea.

14 30' oar-propelled w. auxiliary deisel engines
capacity 93 ea.

8 30' oar-propelled capacity 68 ea.

It is possible that sometime during her service life, other than her WW2 needs, this could have changed.

Martin Usher

Sep 27, 2007
Thanks for the info Kyle, I have also just discovered that the Mauretania II had the registration 166267 which doesn't match up with my numbers either.

I know my lifeboat was converted to a motor sailor in the late 40's and there are a lot of older people at the various River Nene clubs, where the boat has always been, that say that it came from the Mauretania II but that information could be like Chinese whispers which is why I'm trying to get independent verification of its origins.

Given the time when my lifeboat was first converted it is possible that it was decommissioned at the end of the war when the Mauretania II was being refitted for cruising but I don't know if the lifeboat requirements for troop ships would have been different.

Can anyone suggest any other leads I might follow to research my lifeboat further?

Musher

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
That's a great site. There are clips on just about every liner that Britain ever produced news about. Some great ones on the Normandie, Empress of Britain (1930), even ships of the Castle Line. And of course all of the Cunard and White Star ships. If you play around a wee bit with your search, you can sometimes find clips taken aboard some of the ships.
Some of the better ones you have to pay for, but for a really special one, it might be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.