May 3, 2005
A few months ago, someone quoted in this forum Mrs. Ella Holmes White as having said that it was not so much courage on the part of the men passengers that made them remain on board the Titanic, but rather the fact that no one really believed it would sink. They went on to say that Mrs. White was a credible source.
I would suggest that Mrs. White is somewhat less than credible as a source for two reasons:
First, she had just abandoned her valet, Sante Ringhini, to his fate. She, after all, was the cause of his being on the Titanic, facing imminent death. One suspects there is some creative rationalization on the lady's part.
Second, I am tempted to call a person who owns a walking stick with a lightbulb, of all things, attached to it, very eccentric, to put it kindly.
I don't think (here I go again with another one of my big "IMHO's".LOL) why anyone with a walking stick with a lightbulb would be called eccentric . Looks like they would have been very handy when walking on a dark night. How about carrying a walking stick and a flashlight ?
And maybe the walking stick with a lightbulb might have been the latest thing in 1912 ?
Doubtless there are other things that make the poor lady seem like an eccentric person ?
I also think that both men and women stayed on board Titanic was not so much of courage but that they thought the ship was unsinkable and they would be safer and warmer
staying on the ship in the known ⁿlighted spaces
than taking to the lifeboats in the unknown dark and frigid waters.

Last edited: