McCain's Titanic Ad

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Did you see McCain's "Titanic" ad against Obama? Just saw it minutes ago--rough seas, an iceberg in the horizon and then a ship coming out of the fog--only it looks more like the Carpathia!

Tad G. Fitch

Dec 31, 2005
Haha, I think you're right Sam. In fact, he mentions in his memoir that his earliest memory was being there when the Carpathia was launched...

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
The way things are going it looks like McCain's campaign could use a few lifeboats. If McCain is suggesting that Obama is at the helm of that ship, then someone should let him know that the Carpathia was the rescue ship, not the one that struck the iceberg.

May 27, 2007
The way things are going it looks like McCain's campaign could use a few lifeboats.
Not in Mo, alas!

If McCain is suggesting that Obama is at the helm of that ship, then someone should let him know that the Carpathia was the rescue ship, not the one that struck the iceberg.
Whoops. This is the man who hopes to run our country too.

The Titanic has had a long history in Politics with one Party or another using the symbolism to their own ends. McCain isn't the first. At least Obama would of gotten the ships right.
happy.gif

Like Jason, I too would like to see the ad, Kyrila.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Well I saw it three times on NBC--once during the news, then during Access Hollywood and then again during The Biggest Loser. I've been trying to find it online--the ad listed www.gop.com as the people responsible for the ad, but it hasn't been put on their website yet. I found all the other commercial ads but not this one.

May 27, 2007
I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but perhaps it would be well to keep the current day politics outta here.
No your right, Michael. We shouldn't be taking pot shots at the Candidates. But the folks who filmed the commercial have it coming for not researching their source material. So the ad and whoever made it or filmed the said ad are fair game.

I wonder though how any other satirist or political parties of folk who want to make a statement about the Titanic or some other disaster and end up getting the ship wrong in the ad. I bet this isn't the first time it's happened. I was watching a documentary on a civil war ship and I could of swore they had their facts mixed up.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>But the folks who filmed the commercial have it coming for not researching their source material. So the ad and whoever made it or filmed the said ad are fair game.<<

I can go for that. Using the Titanic for political purposes and the rediculous lengths which some of these blokes go to is a game as old as 1912.

May 27, 2007
Walter Lord has some good examples of the Titanic being used to make a statement or political statement in TNLO. The Image of Titanic being used politically has really always been with us.