Meals on board

• Thread starter Stefan Christiansson
  • Start date

May 27, 2007
I'd have an Afternoon coffee and an evening coffee. I'm not really tea person. Although my daughter would probably have to have tea or milk.

I, myself study by getting a lot of books at the library and sometimes look through the old newspaper files. I'm reading up on the 1932 Election which I've heard compared to the one we just had economy wise.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I quite agree with you, Bob. I wish I could have a breakfast menu like that each morning.<<

My doctor would be a lot happier if I didn't! (Looks towards local breakfast buffet while writing this.)
grin.gif

One thing you could say about the liners in that day was that when they put on the nosebag, they didn't half step. A lot of people in the third class had never eaten so well.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Ben, the dinner 'menu' you found there looks more like a list of the kind of foods available in 2nd Class rather than an actual menu. Here's one from the Titanic, which as you can see offers more variety of choice:

Consomme tapioca

Baked Haddock, sharp sauce
Curried chicken & rice
Spring lamb, mint sauce
Roast turkey, cranberry sauce
Green peas
Puree turnips
Boiled rice
Boiled & roast potatoes

Plum pudding
Wine jelly
Coconut sandwich
American ice cream
Nuts assorted
Fresh fruit
Cheese
Biscuits
Coffee

Your 2nd Class luncheon menu looks more convincing. Here's another for comparison:

Pea soup
Spaghetti au Gratin
Corned beef
Vegetable dumplings
Roast mutton
Baked jacket potatoes

COLD
Roast mutton
Roast beef
Sausage
Ox tongue
Pickles
Salad

Tapioca pudding
Apple tart
Fresh fruit
Cheese
Biscuits
Coffee

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
Ben, the dinner 'menu' you found there looks more like a list of the kind of foods available in 2nd Class rather than an actual menu
It seems, then, that I have a lot yet to learn about Googling. You are right, the menu you provided seems more ritzy than the one I had. Perhaps I should have checked my second class dinner menu that I ordered. That might have been a better idea. Better yet, I should have checked my book Last Dinner on Titanic. However, I have enough reference books concerning the Titanic that I quickly forget the ones I do have. I found something interesting though. I have all the recipes to cook those courses listed above. Anyone for a Titanic dinner?

Maybe I should use the Librarything website more. I would finally know what books I have instead of posting on my computer. Hey! That sounds like a fantastic project for this weekend. Bob, bring the mutton! Just kidding.

Ricky B

Apr 22, 2015
Hi everyone,

How was breakfast and luncheon served in the first class restaurants? I noticed that it stated 'buffet' on a menu. If I imagine being on holiday/vacation where you leave your table place and walk up to the buffet bars, would it have been like this? Or were there serving stations and the table stewards collected what you wanted? Where were the buffet stations situated? I read that soup was served from the sides of the D-deck saloon. Was this true for the buffet?

With regards to the soup, was it annoying/demoting to be sat near to this? As in, lower ranking passengers were placed near there instead of higher class ones?

Sorry for so many questions!