Meeting up in Alnwick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I posted this yesterday, but it must have wound up in Davy Jones' locker:

http://www.s-h-systems.co.uk/hotels/wtswan.html

- they have regular Titanic themed weekends. I'm hoping to make the February one. Does anyone feel like coming along to keep a salty old sea dog company?
happy.gif

Cheers
Paul

J

Jake Angus

Please let us know about the 'steerage' dinner menu Friday night!!!!
queasy.gif

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I've got details of their shindig from November 14th-16th (prices are a bit high: £35 per person for Saturday reception and dinner dance, and £186 per person sharing twin or double cabins).

Friday, November 14th: Steerage Night!
Afternoon tea with cakes as served on the Titanic.
Guinness, Bushmills and Bucks Fizz reception.
Dine from the third class menus and then come to Mr.de Caprio's "real party" [yuk - Paul] with an Irish band!

Saturday, November 15th: First Class Night!
Sit in splendour surrounded by the original oak panelling, ceiling, mirrors and windows from the Titanic's identical twin sister ship.
Put on your fingery for authentic cocktails from the Titanic's drinks menu!
Enjoy the lavish nine course Titanic menu while we tell the dramatic story of the tragic final hours.
End the evening happily with dancing till late!
On Sunday, our historian explains how the Olympic Suite finally came to dock at Alnwick.

Tel: 01665 602109

(No I don't get a commission for posting this information
happy.gif
)

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Is anyone else going on this? I've just booked my place and it would be great to meet up with some other ET board members!

Best wishes

Paul

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
By the way, it looks like this may be rescheduled for October 8th-10th. Maybe see some of you there....?

Best wishes

Paul

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Well, just come back from this, and I had a darned good time! Shame no-one on the board could make it but there will be another one next February, maybe with another talk by me (ha ha!)

Paul

Alison Mann

Oct 12, 2004
I was there and caught your talk, very nervous weren't you !!! Interested in some of the things you said but disappointed that you were quite single minded on some subjects and didn't allow for others to have theirs. Secretly filmed programme to be shown early next year, give it a chance before you close your mind, Paul.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Yes I was nervous. I gave everyone a chance to air their views, so I really don't know what you're talking about unless you're talking about the discredited Titanic-Olympic switch theory.

Whats this secretly filmed programme then?

Paul

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Mixchael, I'm as confused as you. My talk was general about the White Star Line etc. I was asked questions about:

the insurance fraud theory
the Samson being close by and a few other Californian questions
The bodies recovered
The lifejackets perhaps causing injury to people (as discussed on this board)

Closed minded? Huh? I did give short shift to the conspiracy theory. Perhaps Robin Gardiner was in the audience?
happy.gif

Paul

G

Gavin Murphy

Hi Gang,

Something struck me. I am going to be in Durham City from Nov. 10-14 and wanted to know if Paul, Alison and maybe others wanted to get together for a Titanic chinwag at the Lambton Hounds in Pity Me.

Why there?

Read my article on the ET article site re: the pub's Olympic fittings.

For sake of argument, let's say Nov. 11 at 7 pm

Interested?

Gavin

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Alas, I'm stranded in the south-east at the moment.

On a different note: I don't think my talk went so badly. I've recently hada really bad relapse of depression, and I think dredging anything from your memory (even with a crib sheet and overhead transparencies) when your mind is closing down is BLOODY good in my book.

Paul

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Don't worry, Paul - you're never going to please all of the people all of the time
happy.gif
That's something with which most of us who have ever gone out on a limb to share research are quite familiar with. I've never known a Titanic researcher worth their salt who hasn't had people critical of some aspects of any talk they gave (Phil G gave an hilarious description of the reaction of some audience members who didn't like the level of detail and precision in one of his passenger lectures). Of course, there's a difference between criticism and constructive criticism - vague generalities are not particularly helpful in the latter instance.

I've never found you closed minded, I have to say - you've always proved amenable to discussion when I've been chatting with you.

I'm very sorry I wasn't able to attend - I would have been most interested in hearing what you had to say!

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Paul,

I'll second what Inger said. I wouldn't give it much thought and if people don't like it, well that's too bad for them.

When we met up at the Texas Embassy in April, I didn't find you closed mind at all - I quite enjoyed our discussion.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Closed minded? Huh? I did give short shift to the conspiracy theory. Perhaps Robin Gardiner was in the audience?<<

Or somebody with a vested interest? Who knows? As to this snappy comeback about having an "open mind," I've often found this to be the semantic equivalant of "Don't bother with anything as annoying as critical thinking and fact checking." As rheotorical misdirection goes, accusing somebody of being "closed minded" is one of the most popular debater's tricks in the book. One that's designed to put somebody on the defensive, and it often succeeds. Doesn't really go over well with me. In fact, I often find that when somebody says "You simply must have an open mind." it really means I better double check the facts for myself as somebody is trying to sell me a pig in a poke.

The quality of having an open mind...and Alison, do please take note of this...does not mean that one buys into every hypothosis and proposition that comes down the pike. It simply means that one is willing to give due consideration to a premise based on the evidence which supports it. If there is none, or if the evidence is so overwhelmingly against it, such as Gardiner's ship-switch theory, there's really nothing there to consider.

I'll third what Inger said BTW. You can't make them all happy. So long as you do your best to make sure you have your facts strieght, and I've never known you to do otherwise, you have nothing to apoligize for.

Status
Not open for further replies.