Mega Movers on History Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Did anyone see an episode of Mega Movers on the History Channel featuring the salvage operation on the Normandie? I only caught the last part of it, but could tell that the writer or producer didn't do much research. In the short time that I was watching it they said that the fire started on the promenade deck, the Normandie would have been the largest troop transport, and that the Queen Mary and the Normandie were sister ships. The film footage was good though.

S

Scott R. Andrews

"...the Queen Mary and the Normandie were sister ships..."

Wow! A "two-fer"!! In one fell swoop, the producers managed to get two entirely separate groups of ship-owners, shipbuilders, naval architects and marine engineers all simultaneously rolling in their respective graves!

Scott Andrews

PS - Not to mention, there are likely still more than a few living souls out there, both along the Clyde and the Loire who were young apprenticies at the time, and who might be hurling more than insults at their TV sets, assuming this has been broadcast in the UK and Europe!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>In the short time that I was watching it they said that the fire started on the promenade deck, <<

W.O.W!!!! I'm sure the idiot welder who started things going in the 1st class dining room with a cutting torch would have been relieved to find out he had nothing to do with it after all!!!

John DeLoache

Jun 3, 2004
History Channel ran that one again this week. In addition to those errors at one point the narrator tells of the "makeshift ruler" at the stern used to indicate the number of feet she was rising during the salvage. The only problem with that was that the ruler is clearly at the bow.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>only problem with that was that the ruler is clearly at the bow.<<

Oops!
shy.gif

W

Wayne Keen

One man's bow is another mans stern... ;)

Too bad,the salvage was a remarkable undertaking.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.