Mel Sharp [was Hello !]

Mel Sharp

Sep 18, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm Mel, from the North West of the UK. Im a half irish daughter of a Naval Engineer both with the Navy and then Merchant. I remember very little of my father but have always been interested in the sea, although im no sailor myself lol.

I've always been fascinated by the Titanic in that indefinable way that she and her passengers seem to get under your skin and into your heart.

Recently I have been ill and have had some time to kill and got to watching some titanic documentaries, some of which gave me more quetions than answers. I started off trying to find information regarding the coal fire as that was something I'd not heard of before and ended up reading most of the inquiry testimony, most of which, once again, leaves me with more questions than answers.

The British inquiry in general was not fit for purpose, there seems to be a lot of hostility towards some witnesses compared to others and a lot of cutting witnesses off when i felt they may have had something important to say, so many questions that were not asked and a clear bias toward or against certain issues right from the outset. I am left feeling very frustrated by it all.

From what i can tell there is nothing clear cut, no one person or incident to blame and that in fact under the circumstances the ship proved to be incredibly well made and that anyone survived at all is a miracle. Yet i still have so many questions, lol

I'm begining to understand that this is the enigma of the Titanic and why she holds people's interests the way she does.

Regards,

Mel

Mel Sharp

Sep 18, 2018
Hi Harland, much better thank you.

I just read that yesterday thankyou, there are a lot of very valid points made. I have come to the conclusion the empty bunker on the starboard might have helped balance her as the starboard flooded but that other than that the fire didnt contribute in anyway to the accident or how quickly or otherwise she flooded. Whether the bulkhead was weakened or not didnt make much difference as far as I can see due to the fact that too many compartments had been compromised from the collision.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 14, 2005
Hi Harland, much better thank you.

I just read that yesterday thankyou, there are a lot of very valid points made. I have come to the conclusion the empty bunker on the starboard might have helped balance her as the starboard flooded but that other than that the fire didnt contribute in anyway to the accident or how quickly or otherwise she flooded. Whether the bulkhead was weakened or not didnt make much difference as far as I can see due to the fact that too many compartments had been compromised from the collision.
Hello and Welcome. Good point about the other compartments failing and not being compromised by a coal fire. As for the inquiries I think most on this site have come to the conclusion that they were more about CYA and protecting the industry than finding and fixing the problems. Not all but a large part of them. The Lusitania hearings were pretty compromised too. I hope you like this site. Lots of good info here.

Mel Sharp

Sep 18, 2018
Thanks Steven, I have to admit I am far from an expert, these are just my thoughts on what ive read. Fact are facts there were holes in the ship starboard skin letting water into both 5 and 6 boiler rooms, thats thats one too many compartments for her to float, whether the bulkhead collapsed or not wouldnt have made much diffetrence, she was sinking whatever.

The inquiry reads like a farce tbh, it is absolutely fascinating to read, both in terms of the Titanic and as a record of the prejudices towards the "lower classes" of the day.