Melanie Saba

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anita Ayoub

There is a person who was on the titanic that is not listed who is my grandmothers sister. She was travelling to America Her name is Melanie Saba at the age of 20 years old who came from Lebanon in the North from a village named "kafhelmaloul". I am from Australia who have relatives in the USA. Our family name is AYOUB which our relative in the USA spell as AYOOB. Apparently she was situated in the third class deck. As she was getting off the titanic she a man disguised as a female jumped on the boat she was on. As they were lowering the boat it tipped due to the man jumping on. Unfortunately she did not survive. For more details do not hesitate to email me. In the meantime I'll do more family research.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Sorry Anita, but there are some glaring problems with this story. For one thing, of the 18 boats that were successfully launched, not one was tipped by anyone jumping in, be they male, female, or any one disguised as another. For another, the records here on this site are the end result of 91 years of intensive research. If an individual is not listed, then they weren't there.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Anita, it is certain also that everybody who was in a lifeboat lowered from the ship survived. Had your relative somehow been in that situation and NOT survived it's hard to see how recollections of what happened on the boat could have been passed on. Is it possible that you have connections with 3rd Class survivor Banoura Ayoub, and that family memories have become confused? Here's a link to the information we have on Banoura. Does anything there ring a bell?

Apr 27, 2003
Anita,

Greetings to show you the complexity of the use of names etc., here from my own database is the entry for:

AYOUB, MISS BANOURA AYOUB DAHER (LATER MRS. MICHAEL DEYOUB). Saved. Going to Youngstown, Ohio - with F. Zanni.

(Or Miss Banoura Daher Ayoub). Syria.

Died December 3rd, 1970, and was buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery in Detroit, Michigan.

Apparently she was travelling with Mrs. Georges Joseph. Both ladies escaped in boat C. After their arrival in New York they were taken to the Hebrew Sheltering Home where Miss Ajout/Ayoub/Ayont was listed as Belaria Heped.

(From The Emergency and Relief booklet by the American Red Cross, 1913).

Case number 25. (Syrian). Unmarried woman, a peddler, slightly injured. Awarded $100.

I hope that may help in some way?

Best regards

Brian

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Anita, unfamiliar naming conventions in the Middle East did cause confusion as Brian has stated. You might also check out Shawneene George Whabee, who appears in Brian's list as Mrs George Joseph and had earlier used the name Jenny George! But her maiden name was Abi-Saab. She was the wrong age (38) but was Lebanese and she made the point in a newspaper interview that "a scared young man leaped over the side of the liner and landed in the bottom of the lifeboat".

Status
Not open for further replies.