Memorabilia

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robbie Tresham

Recently saw a tv documentary. On the wall of a room hung a Titanic lifebelt. Round, painted white with RMS Titanic painted letters in red.
Two questions then . . (1) in movies the passengers seem to be equipped with life jackets, so did the Titanic carry both round belts as well as life jackets (2) is it possible to say if much Titanic stuff is in the hands of private collectors, as opposed to that held in various museums ??

A

Alex McLean

Rob,
Titanic had I think either 48 or 56 life rings (someone else can help me here). As for 'RMS. Titanic' being painted on in red, I don't think this was the case. Most images of them have proven the writing is black (though black and white images are hard to decipher like that). There are many photos showing Titanic liferings which are red/orange and white. Photographs shows that this is false, just a little research is needed. Like the photos showing Olympic, claiming it is Titanic, or Lusitania setting out on it's May 1915 voyage with pre-Titanic lifeboat arrangements, you just need to follow it up.

Infact, come to think of it, I haven't heard any reports about liferings being saved. They would do nothing for you, once you dies you would probably slip out of them and life lifebelts, offered no protection from the freezing waters.

Ahh well, it is 12:30am here, and I have gotten about 6 hours sleep of these last 48, so someone else will have to back me up.
Goodnight!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Titanic's life rings actually had nothing written on them. Here's a White Star life ring in situ, and one which is said to have been recovered by the Algerine while searching for bodies.

69116.jpg
69117.jpg

R

Robbie Tresham

Thanks fellas for that info and the images too Bob. So this seems to point to maybe fake Titanic rings might have been sold. I wonder if other
stuff "commemorating" the tragedy was produced.
Maybe a few folks got ripped off buying fake stuff eh.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Robbie, the manufacture of Titanic memorabilia has become quite an industry in recent years. Most of these items (uncluding a number of versions of the life rings) are honestly sold as modern reproductions though in many cases they look nothing like the originals, if indeed there ever were any originals. Genuine relics do come up for auction from time to time, alongside many which are fake or which are everyday objects which have no real connection with the Titanic. Check out the auction site www.ebay.com and type in Titanic as your search word. You'll see the whole range of what's on offer - the good, the bad and the ugly! In case you haven't discovered it yet, the Marketplace section of this Message Board has lots of posts about memorabilia for sale, genuine and otherwise. I personally find it safest to collect only information!

S

stephen peters

There are currently a load of small sample vials of perfumes on show in the Titanic exhibition at the Science Museum in London, I went there when the exhibition opened it still shocks me to see that something in such delicate little containers are still in one piece and holding the perfumes (with the exception of one)that were put in them before being taken on the ship

Jul 7, 2002
Several of the perfume bottles and part of the case are in the artifact exhibit at the Detroit Science Center.

Best wishes,

Cathy

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Somebody must step forward to recreate the scent of 1912 perfum and market it as 'Titanic perfum'!

Sep 26, 1999
The perfume bottles are currently on display in Raleigh, North Carolina. I wonder how RMS picks and chooses what particular artifacts to display in each city? Like Jason, the Amy bracelet is a fascinating piece. To go to an exhibit and not see it would be very disappointing. With the bracelet currently being in Raleigh, this highly personal piece is missing in other artifact exhibits around the country. I think its one of the most important pieces to see.

Jun 10, 1999
The perfume bottles along with Howard Irwin's love letters were on display at the L.V. Tropicana exhibit, along with a pair of men's boots...all very moving. However, I anticipated the Amy bracelet, as it was featured in the artifact program...only a replica was offered in the gift shop. BTW, a highlight for me was a restaurant check receipt bearing...R.M.S. TITANIC.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jun 10, 1999
The only life ring that I have seen bearing TITANIC is from the "Time Tunnel" premier episode "Rendevous with Yesterday"...
great reason for concern by the time traveller Tony, as he arose from his tumble onto the promenade deck.

I found a small trinket lifering with a lighthouse inside, removed the lighthouse, adorned the ring with stick on letters LIVERPOOL TITANIC, and hung it on my Titanic wall.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.