Men in Life Boats

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Hi Tracy.

Regarding your comments concerning M. Navratil. Firstly, I agree wholeheartedly with your opinion that he deserved the seat more than Ismay. I also tend to agree with your thoughts about children having precedence over adults, (although I'm still thinking on that one...)

How would you see the Officers putting such a policy into practice? They wouldn't have had the time to question each adult to see if they were a single parent!
happy.gif
And I guess a few (or more!) would have lied, and others wouldn't even have spoken English.

If a child was placed aboard a lifeboat, and both parents were also present, which one should the Officers have chosen to accompany the child? One could argue that the Father would be the better choice to be saved, as males were the main/sole breadwinners in those days. Otherwise, one could be sentencing a Mother and child to a life of poverty.

I'm posing these questions, but I haven't got the faintest idea of an answer! I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts, or anyone else's.

Regards,

Paul.

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
What a fantastic thread.

Loads of old friends from long ago, major controversy, heated debate, outrage and amazing insights (IMHO).

Ah, the glory days...!