MenWomen separated by Gender On Titanic

A

Alyson Jones

What is the real truth here?
Was the bow of the ship full of only 3rd class men only,and the stern of the ship was reserved for the women 3rd class passengers?
was there any mix of women and men back on the titanic?I'M talking about second class and first class aswell.
Was it against the law on the Titanic to be involed with someone at that time?
Iv'e always known that they were seperated but most of my resourcers are 95% wrong.
Anyone know more on this topic?

Cheers

May 1, 2004
I read it in "A Night to Remember". I don't know if it was a regulation that 3rd class single men could not sleep in cabins adjoining those of 3rd class single women. Perhaps it was Victorian prudery. Those steerage and their ungenteel behaviour! They'd have sex if we put them next to each other! Lord didn't mention if single first and second class gents had cabins next to single first and second class ladies. They, of course, read the etiquette books.

Feb 23, 2007
There was a difference between actual steerage and 3rd class cabins. My Grandfather and his family were travelling in a third class cabin. This cost more than a steerage fare as far as I know. The two companions of the family were berthed in the open bay steerage area for men in the bow. I would suppose that a single man could have booked passage in a third class cabin if he wanted to. There were single men and women in both first and second class cabins. I do not know whether they were intermixed or not but would guess that they were. I could be wrong. I would imagine that single 3rd class passengers would have been no different if they paid for cabins rather than open bay berths. if you don't know what i mean by open bay berths, imagine your living room or basement full of bunk beds. This is why they were seperated. I hope this helps. Alyson it was not against the law for people to be involved with each other on the Titanic as it was well known that a very prominant man was travelling with his mistress.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Was the bow of the ship full of only 3rd class men only,and the stern of the ship was reserved for the women 3rd class passengers?<<

The accomadation was arranged such that single men and single women were segregated. In instances where they shared the same cabin, it was either because they were married or could convince somebody that they were.

A

Alyson Jones

Geez,Wow you're a special member, i never spoken to someone that had a ralitive aboard the Titanic before.
Yes it did help cheers

[Moderator's Note: This thread, originally posted to the "Crew Research" topic, has been moved to this topic addressing similar matters. MAB]

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Actually, Titanic had no open steerage areas. Early drawings show them, but by 1912 they'd been scrapped in favour of little multi-berth cabins.

The set up was that all unattached third class men were berthed forward. Women and married couples were aft. There were small variations in price, as some third class was more third class than the rest.

Segregation by sex was a legal requirement.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
It's rather confusing that the term 'steerage' is often used in this forum as if interchangeable with '3rd Class', but in reality there was a world of difference. This would have been especially obvious on the German liners which offered both classes of travel.

In traditional steerage women traveling alone or in groups did so at considerable risk of harassment both by male passengers and crew members, and one of the great improvements in 3rd Class was the extent to which such risk had been minimised. Lines such as Cunard and White Star made it very clear to crew members that all passengers must be treated with respect, and the segregation of single men and women in both the sleeping and dining areas was a crucial element of this policy. Protection, not prudery.

May 27, 2007
Bob is right. Third was a cut above steerage. I looked it up after an earlier discussion. I, myself have been known to use both terms Steerage and Third Class. I think because the Titanic Passengers referred to Third Class as Steerage.

When I'm really in a hurry before work or something else has arisen I use numbers. 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Constancy has flown out the window it seem. Works better then referring to Third Class as Steerage which as Bob pointed out can be misleading for some. Although I still catch myself doing that. Someday...perhaps...?

Feb 23, 2007
Thanks for the correction on the steerage arrangements. My apologies for my ignorance on the issue. I probably knew that the changes were made to the steerage arrangements at one time. As far as the third class/steerage issue goes, I try to explain the difference to people all the time. It seems that this is a legacy from the past. I do not know when the shipping lines made the changes to add third class cabins as well as having steerage arrangements but I doubt there was much fanfare or notice in the news. I do know that in the this case,(talk of the Titanic),the distinction is just becoming recognized. Sorry to have muddied the waters a bit.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The South Australian Maritime Museum has a photo of steerage on an immigrant ship from around 1950. It's a decidedly messy, all male area. Refugees were desperate to get to Australia after WW II and they settled for anything.

Goodness knows when it died out on western ships. The equivalent still is found in third world ships, such as ferries and the incredibly crude African river ships. Plenty of fresh air and do your own cooking on deck. Drowning optional!

E

Ella Jones

I read a book that mentions "un-pretected ladies" meaning that single women traveling alone on the voyage.
Single Men & Women had separate accomedations (men-bow/women-stern) to keep unwanted births at bay but during the day men court single women by offering them drinks and etc....
This can lead the men to take the ladies to there cabins........so the separate single men & women accomedations don't really prevent men being separated from single ladies at all,I am pretty sure this may have occurred.

Jan 28, 2003
"Ella",
All 'ladies' were "unpretected" in 1912 by anything really effective. They were braver than us, eh? Nature always finds a way, but I don't think there are wild reports of irresponsible births in third class / steerage classes, or anywhere else really. So I'd guess that most women just said "No."

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I like the girls who say they will,
And I like the girls who won't.
I hate the girls who say they will,
And then they say they won't.
But of all the girls I like the best,
I may be wrong or right,
Are the girls who say they never will,
But look as though they might.

Mark Baber