Message Board Information What It's For

Sep 20, 2000
Hi, all! Partly to save Phil Hind the trouble -- Phil, please correct me if I'm "out of line" here -- and intending no slight to anyone (just a "word to the wise"), I wanted to explain the purpose of this Topic, as I understand it.

"Message Board Information" is the newer, free-flow version of the old "Message Board Announcements" topic, which was a read-only grouping. As such, it would seem that posts to it should deal specifically with the dynamics and logistics of the Message Board per se, rather than questions more properly categorized by other existing topics, for example, "General Titanic Questions."

I don't mean to play "the heavy" here. It's just that the current openness and usefulness of this Topic will ultimately be compromised if too many irrelevant submissions arrive under its heading.

Phil, any comments?

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
No that is quite correct. Fortunately I am able to move threads around otherwise we'd be in quite a jumble.
happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
I am not Phil, but wanted to add my two cents worth here. I think it is a good thing that you posted your comments here. The posts are most likely from newbies who are reading the Message Board Information on how to post something and...what do you know....ADD A MESSAGE is right here.....and it works!

(Hey, I'd have done it long ago if I hadn;t thought that lightening and thunder bolts wouldn't have got me!) So your information is helpful to those who would post here by mistake.

Just a thought.
Maureen.

Sep 20, 2000
By the way, Phil, these upgrades to the Discus software are terrific! Now that things appear to archive *themselves* on a regular basis, that old annoying lag time in loading threads has become virtually non-existent.

Congratulations, and many thanks!
happy.gif

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Yes I hate "old annoying lags" (not mentioning anyone in particular)
happy.gif

Incidentally I don't think it particularly matters where people post but obviously it helps those who are coming browsing through discussions to be able to find what they are after if people generally stick to the topics. Particularly now we have nearly 700 members and a lot of activity on the board.

Remember you can use the MBI topic to suggest new topics and features for the board.

I'll be opening up the "Work in Progress" topic soon, I am still trying to figure out if and how it might work but I reckon it's best just to open it up and see what happens. I think in the first instance it will be private topic, i.e. you'll need to sign in to read messages there.

Phil

Dec 2, 2000
As a resident annoying lag...sorry that was old lag....I would like to say....Phil, this site was good, but you;ve made it even better. I believe that it helps us to share information as well as keep up with important discoveries as well. And Mike (TMIB) Tennaro has also provided a value added by adding his book site and commentary here. There are many sites out there, but this is the only one that I see that combines so much in one spot.

Everywhere i go folks always turn me back here for expert advice and information! Interesting.

Thanks Phil.