Message Board Junkies

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
I announce the results of some in depth research into user activity on this board.

The results show that the following members urgently need to go and get lives!

<TABLE>[tr][td]Name[/td][td]Posts [/td][/tr][tr][td]Maureen Zottoli[/td][td]954 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Mike Standart[/td][td]902 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Shelley[/td][td]331 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Randy[/td][td]325 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Mike P.[/td][td]290 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Inger[/td][td]288 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Mike H.[/td][td]279 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Erik[/td][td]243 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Cook[/td][td]225 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Jason[/td][td]216 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Tracy[/td][td]179 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Joe S.[/td][td]178 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Geoff W.[/td][td]173 [/td][/tr][tr][td]John Feeney[/td][td]156 [/td][/tr][tr][td]George[/td][td]148 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Phil G.[/td][td]148 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Koch[/td][td]127 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Phil H.[/td][td]109 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Sparks[/td][td]107 [/td][/tr][tr][td]Senan[/td][td]100[/td][/tr][/table]

Maureen wins the wooden spoon and a plate of cold turkey.

J

Jonathon Jedd

Phil: Just out of devilish curiosity, what's the time frame for the above statistics? Are they totals? Averages? For the year? Monthly?

Thanks,
JJ

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
Holly S^%&@,

I am 8th. My wife is right I do spend a lot of time on the Computer. That's ok though cause kind Mr. Standart as well as Ms. Zottli beat me. I am not sure if I am proud to have been 8th or concerned.

Erik

K

Karen Sweigart

Geez, I need to post more messages, I'm not even a blip on the radar. Karen

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England

Quote:

Why, for the love of Pete, does this site not have a chat room?

Who's Pete?

Jeff Newman already runs a chatroom on IRC/Dalnet under the auspices of the Titanic mailing list. I don't see much point in creating another one.

M

Mike Norton

WHo's Pete? Phillip, I'm so disappointed. Peter Dennis Daly, first class passenger (cabin E-17) of course.

It is a little known fact that Mr. Daly loved to chat and most certainly would have loved a chat room on his favorite web page, Encyclopedia-Titanica, if he were to live 'till the day of the internet. So, for Pete's sake, can't we put up a chat room on here?

Mike Norton

ace@thepetdetective.com

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Figures are since August - more or less. I excluded a few thousand posts made when the board was open to the general riff raff. Now we are a much more select gathering.
happy.gif

K

Karen Sweigart

Am I 42 out of 42?
I am proud and glad too Erik, I mostly post while at work and if I were in the top percentile I'd probably be without a job.
happy.gif

Karen

K

Karen Sweigart

Oh, 42 posts. I'm a ditz Phil, don't mind me. It's almost time to go home from work and my brain is completely dead.

B

Bill DeSena

Wow Phil,

I'm so glad I didn't make that list,...must mean I do have a life hunh? I still think Titaniacs need a Rave.

Regards all and Happy Holidays ;-)
Bill

Dec 2, 2000
I leave my house at 6:30am and do not get home until around 8 or 9pm each night from my job.
Absolutely no posting from me here on the ET Board has ever been posted by me from my job, ever. It is not allowed and so I do not do it.

I have only had my computer since July and only posted here since around September I believe. Thats on average about 9-10 posts a day or about 1-2 per main topic.

I do not think that it is due to not having a life that I post so much here, it is that I write for a living and can write a lot at one sitting and I read all posts on all threads whereas many here stick with only a few threads.

Yes, I post a lot, but I also take the time to encourage alot and to listen to folks too. I offered to do research for folks and some laughed at me. But over time I have spent time in places where others are not allowed and have with no solicitation sent never before gotten items for people and just sent it to them without their even having asked me for it and at my own expense.

My kids are gone. I am not married. No spouse looking over my shoulder and I thought that this was a place to enjoy and become friends... to discuss Titanic.

I guess that someone of my limited intelligence and social standing needs to leave the Titanic to those who are of a higher class of people than a person who would share books and cheesecake recipes and encourage new and seasoned writers or who has posted some of the more technical questions here and encouraged some rather deep discussions.

1000 posts in 100 days is 10 posts per day since September 1, 2000 (about 104 days). In my free time,...that is simply not a lot in regards to the numbers of main topics with lots of threads here. I deal with more than that at work.

Too sensitive? Naw, its the holidays Phil and I guess that I had thought that I was among friends here. You have limited space, just ask me and I would stop.

But I am sorry I trashed your site and I will seek out the other recommended site. Thanks.
Maureen.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
er Maureen, I think that in collecting your wooden spoon you have picked up the wrong end of the stick!

Maybe I could take another quick poll. Who out of our 570 members could conceive of the forgoing as an attack or criticism of Maureen*&!* Come on, hands up. We are just having a bit of fun, we welcome you and all your posts. And I don't mind if someone posts once or a thousand - er better make that ten thousand times
happy.gif

So let's perhaps avoid the intoxicating liquor of introspection and hyper-sensitivity and relax - (Phil lights patchouli josticks and Satie tinkles in the background)

Dec 2, 2000

Didn;t take the wrong end of the wooden spoon and did not take it as an attack on Maureen at all. As a matter of fact, responded in kind to your post at first.

Yes, it was an eye opener and the chart hurt a little at first , but I joked about it. It has been the reaction to the chart that I find troublesome and the impression that posting here two or three times a day or more is a bad thing or that those that do have no life are abandoning their families.

There are folks out in this space whose lives are not filled with friends and the warmth of the holidays and need to throw themselves into this bit of cyberspace.

And there are folks out in this space who have spouses who bug them about the horrible amount of time that they spend on Titanic and are anything but supportive. You are very lucky Phil, but some are not as lucky.

To point out that out of about 500 users that a chosen ten have collectively posted about 25% of all posts and assigning them the title as message board junkies places those people in the position of time re-evaluation perhaps due to pressures and only places them under more of a burden to not join in. (whether that is what was intended or not).

But I appreciate your posting here and will try to chill out for a while, but must go out and buy the satie tinkle and take up drinking to satisfy the other recommendations.
happy.gif

Hyper-sensitive? Didn't take it as a personal attack on me, but perhaps did take it as an insult of people like me as folks with a valueless life who post useless information ....let;s put it that way. Cause in an other thread you suggested to another 900 club member that he "take the warning"....I did not understand that I guess...cause you say that in other situations and then the person is cut off.

The comments about the chat room elevated my input to that of chit chat and that hurt. Was I causing a problem that I had no idea about,...I did not know. Were you serious or joking...I did not know.

In most cases I would email you, but this is something that I feel needs to be understood. There are a few people who have less than supportive spouses out there and constantly complain about the time spent with the "Boat people"...but to me the third place position and below are not ridiculous amounts to post or spend time here and people need to understand that.

I've got to go to work, but thought I would respond...not because I want sympathy, but I wanted you to understand. Perhaps a code in serious messages or the use of smileys when you are joking would be helpful.

Perhaps it is my American election training that has so confused me....who knows but my need to be obedient to your rules outweighs my common sense at times.
happy.gif

Maureen.

Apr 11, 2001
I demand a SILVER SPOON! And Filet Mignon! Auntie Mame has quite a life but I LOVE love love my Boat People- trivia, fancy duds, funnels and ALL!