Message Board Shutdown

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
I'm afraid this board will be closed for some or all of Wednesday for some essential repairs. I'm finding that every post I send is returning an error though it seems the posts are getting through. This is annoying because by the time the post actually appears I've changed my mind about what I want to say!

So I'm going to backup and try to reinstall the board from scratch. This is going to be a pretty mammoth task and if it doesn't work I am not sure what I'm going to do.

I'm sorry about this folks. I'll try to keep disruption to a minimum and hopefully we won't lose any of the erudite and entertaining discussion we've had of late!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Phil, thanks for the heads up. Hopefully, you can get everything sorted out. (Are you by chance getting any support from the people who provide this sites webspace?)

Just so you know how much I appriciate your work, this is the best place on the internet for exchanging thoughts, ideas, and insights on the Titanic, and I've learned an incredible amount here. You don't get even a tenth of the credit you deserve for maintaining it or dealing with the lot of us when things occasionally become unpleasant. I just want to say; Thanks for everything!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
Phil,

Good Luck again this is a wonderful site as Mr. Standart has said and thank you for the heads up.

Erik

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Hi Guys,

Apparently the fellas from Research Machines couln't find anything wrong tho' they managed to prang the board in the process! I spent Saturday morning trying to fix it. They say they are going to try again which could delay my proposed shut down. If the schedule changes I will post here to let you know.

Phil

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't know, Phil. With all the use this board gets...over 23,000 messages, little errors are bound to creep in.

On the other hand, it could be server problems too. Lord knows I have enough with my ISP on my side of the pond. If that's the case, then the board would have nothing to do with it. As fast as the internet is gaining new subscribers, it's a wonder anything works well at all.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the heads up and I hope everything is sorted out. I agree with what Michael has said above in his first post and good luck with this.

We all depend on this wonderful site.

Best regards,

Jason

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Here Down Under the board is working just fine, except that every time I post it thinks I have posted twice. Other than that, it's the usual wonderful forum that Phil runs so well.

Then again, I do have a very good ISP. It's quite small but its service is close to perfect.

Mar 28, 2002
Afternoon Phil,
I seem to be experiencing difficulties in trying to access the General Titanica file - I've tried three times in the last 20 minutes and it keeps freezing on me, so I have to log out and back in again. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Boz