Michael Koch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2000
Hi everyone! I'm 35 years old from Indianapolis, Indiana. I am married with 5 wonderful children and work as a meteorologist for the National Weather Service. Also, I'm a member of the THS. My interest in Titanic started as many of yours did when I read "A Night to Remember" when I was about 10 years old. I have been very interested in Titanic ever since but especially the last 6 years after seeing the 4 part A&E video series! I am very interested in all the details and theories just before and during her sinking especially the Californian issue, the exact details of where she hit the berg, the new theory of if and why she steamed ahead for a time after the collision, how long and what did the band play at the end and exactly how she sank (steep vs. low angle and breaking at the surface vs. breaking below). This past Summer, I was able to see the Exhibition in Chicago and I was obviously overwellmed with emotion. I'm looking very much forward to talking with all of you :)

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Mike, I'm a retired Navy vet who currently lives in South Carolina. (Check my profile for more details.)

I got hooked by "A Night To Remember" much like you did. It's a very common thread among the lot of us. You might want to get a hold of David Brown's "The Last Log Of The Titanic" which goes into some detail on the Titanic's possible manuevers after the collision.

Welcome aboard,

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Nov 2, 2000
Thanks, Michael S! Yes, I am probably going to get the book in the next week or so am very anxious to start reading it!

Michael.

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Are you new to the site? I am.....glad I found it, and especially amazed at all the different information compiled on one page.

I am also interested to learn about all of the things you have mentioned above.

I wonder if we'll ever know the whole truth.

Yours,

Kelly Beth

Kelly Beth

Nov 2, 2000
Kelly Beth, thanks for the double signing! Was that your clone? LOL Yeah, I just found this site a few weeks ago and find it more informative than any other Titanic site! It's nice to be able to throw out theories and see what the others think of them! Happy posting!

Michael.

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Didn't realize you're the same person I was talking to above (I'm on the right track now, right)?

So, since you said something ~ what are your theories?

Yours,

Kelly Beth

Nov 2, 2000
Kelly Beth, it's still me =-) As for theories, I for one, I agree with David Brown that the Titanic went slow ahead shortly after the accident for 10 or so minutes. I've read accounts of a few that she in fact did so, but don't remember where I read them. I think it was excerps from the British hearings. I'm of the opinion she was steaming toward another ship or possibly looking for a suitable ice floe though not steaming toward Halifax. I also think, she ran over and not into the iceberg as Brown suggests. The way the survivors described the impact as gradual and grinding would support that. Read his excerpt if you get a chance, it's excellent! As far as the Californian goes, I believe she was as far as 20 miles away but also know she saw the rockets and should have responded regardless if it would have made any impact. Do any of these make sense? Do you have any theories?

Thanks,

Michael

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

They all make perfect sense to me, and I agree on most points that you've made.

My theories are more like questions....I attempt to answer them myself a lot of the time (and sometimes), I think I come close. Truthfully, I find most of the theories I have quite inane and embarrassing. Starting from when She was built, to the night she foundered.

Still, I guess it wasn't until this very moment, that I realized how ludicrous some of my "theories" might sound. And, realizing that I am an amateur, and not, as I have stated before, any form of historian or biographer, I guess I feel a little out of my league. I'm sure that sounds rather childish. Like some play-toy, I won't "share" my thoughts. And now, making some big deal out of it.

I've never told anyone what I thought REALLY happened. I've discussed and debated (and shouted a lot) about the what-ifs. What if they'd slowed down....what if the last warning had gotten to the bridge.......what if she were made better? But I've never come right out and told anyone.....something, I guess, because I care so deeply about it, I thought was very personal.

Now, I realize I sound like a complete idiot. Here, now you can answer two questions for me: first, has my tantrum scared you away? hahaha
two: do you think the Titanic is more deep-seated in people's minds....or in people's hearts?

Nov 2, 2000
Kelly Beth, no you haven't scared me away, promise! =-) I am an amateur at this too and sometimes worry what people think about my ideas. I guess I'm just so driven by wanting to know EXACTLY what happened that night, that I just ask questions even though I know they may sound stupid. Now you have me curious to what questions you have! LOL I would venture to guess Titanic is a little more deep-seated in people's hearts, but that's a close one!

Michael

Nov 2, 2000
Just thought I'd try and add a picture of me and see if it works. LOL
your_image.gif

Sep 12, 2000
I think that you are quite handsome, but how did you get yourself into that little white box with the words "Your Image Here" blazed on top of you? he he (giggles)

Seriously, I give you many brownie points for trying Michale which is more than I have ever done.

Maureen.

Sep 12, 2000
Okay, Michael, here is my two cents worth.

1) when you post, be sure to preview what you have typed in, if the "Your Image Here" box is still there and not your picture, then do not post it.

2) be sure that your system supports the software indicated and that your image has been saved as a JPEG or GIF file.

3) if the image you are working with is not on your hard drive it will not find it.

There are only two people that I know of who have successfully posted images here. The only name I remember is Bill Desena, but there was another person that I believe posted a picture of an eBay sale item, but I do not remember the name of the individual.

Phil Hind posted the picture of John Clifford. Perhaps it is the exact way the addressing needs to be indicated that is the problem. But so many have tried and only a few have been successful perhaps Phil would be a gentle and kind spirit and help out with a little Photo Image Posting 101 thread under the Introduction heading. To be a place where we can ask questions about posting pics.

Just a thought. If I had a picture I would try it, but the only digital image I have is one of my daughter and she is the demeanor of Jane Seymour and the coloring and exact figure of Rose and I just don't think it would be a wise thing for a mother to do to her daughter.

Maureen.

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Michael, I figure ~ that if posting that lovely little picture made you laugh as much as it seems to have done --- no worry's!!!

And I agree about Titanic being more in people's hearts (I should, I asked the questions, hoping you'd give that answer).....

I was just discussing this with my friend yesterday (whether people think with their heart or their head)....I was reading a book about the Titanic at lunch, and I admit, I get awfully upset. He asked me, "What's the big deal?" I think, right around that time, I was at the part in the sinking where people finally begin to realize they're in danger, and begin to voluntarily get into the lifeboats. What strikes me most is: the men. I told him how I thought it was amazing that all these men loaded their wives or girlfriends, daughters, sisters, or companions into the lifeboats and then went down with the ship. And he said the greatest thing:

"That would never happen today."

Of course, the discussion lasted a while longer, but of all the things he said...well, it seems so true. I don't think there are those kind of people who would go out on a limb or risk their neck anymore.

UGH!! So...hahaha....how are you today?

Yours,

Kelly Beth

Nov 2, 2000
Maureen, that was too funny! I did exactly as you said but somehow it still doesn't work. I feel better that I'm not the only one this has happened to though!

Kelly Beth, I still think there woould be some that would give up their seats on a lifeboat nowdays, just not quit as many!

Michael

your_image.gif

K

Kelly Beth Vogelsong

Michael, I think you'd be one of them.

Yours,

Kelly Beth

Nov 2, 2000
Well, that was a nice thing to say Kelly Beth! I guess I take that as a compliment. LOL Take care, hope you're night is going well! Oh, and I think I figured out why my image didn't post. It was too big. I saw Phil post that he set the image size to 20kb and mine was much larger.

Michael

Sep 12, 2000
That's too bad Michael. I was just getting used to your squared off look with tree and folder and everything...with that white bright ipana smile.
happy.gif
. Hmmmmmm. You mean I may look here tomorrow and.....see the real you!? Okay, I'm ready! Got myself in the crash position. (giggles!)

Maureen.

Status
Not open for further replies.