Michael ObNeill

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

michael o neill

Hello Everyone My name is Mike O Neill and i live outside Belfast overlooking Belfast Lough and the shipyard.I work for a major airline here although my interest has always been ships i think it must be in the blood as my Father was at sea and also worked at the docks as did my Grandfather.When i left school i went to work for a shipping company as an accounts clerk after failing to get a cadetship with any of the large shipping companies as deck officer due to poor eyesight.Working in the shipping office was the next best thing.My interest in the TITANIC started around that time.I found this site by chance and was amazed at the information it contains.There are so many facts and figures concerned with the TITANIC that i find it difficult to remember them all so i intend for my own use to record onto paper all those dates weights and other bits of information with regard to the ship.Well thats me for now look forward to speaking with you all. mike

Mar 10, 1998
Hi Mike,
Welcome to the board--I envy you living so close to Titanic history. I've made only one trip to Belfast but it was one of the most memorable trips of my 48 years. Senan Molony and I spent an afternoon at Harland and Wolff and the walk through Thompson Graving Dock was like stepping back in time--and seeing Titanic's slipway was an experience I'll never forget. I hope to get back there sometime.

Phillip

Dec 12, 1999
Welcome aboard, Mike. Sounds like Third Officer Pitman's story. Have you read about him? He manned Boat No. 5 and survived the Titanic disaster. Anyway, feast your eyes around this site, and enjoy.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Mike,

Welcome aboard! That's pretty cool being so close to the Titanic. I would love to visit Belfast someday.

This site is wonderful! It's good to hear from you and I look forward to your posts. Enjoy!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
G'day Mike...it's a pity you didn't get to sea as you wished, but there are a few sailors who hang around here...myself included. (I'm a retired U.S. Navy veteran)

Since you're mixed up with the airlines (Air Lingus by chance?), maybe we can have an odd chat in that direction as I'm also an aviation buff.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

M

michael o neill

Hi Everyone thanks for the the words of welcome it was great to sign and find them I have a couple of messages to pass.Hi Phillip glad u got to see the Thompson Graving Dock when i was there it made the hairs on my neck stand up.When I worked at the docks I used to spend my lunch hours walking along the quays to see which parts of the world the various ships came from.I went on a trip to NY for the day,I went on Concord one of the perks of my current job,well i went on a quick bus tour of the city and at one point the driver said "and here is where Titanic should have arrived,does anyone wish to get of and see",I was the only person to get of so all the other pax had to wait while I stood there and gasped at the thought of where I was standing.Hi Jan thanks for your message i am really interested in all of the deck officers I have read all about Lightoller and his very interesting life for me I think he is a real hero of sorts.I do plan to read up on the rest of the deck officers and no doubt will include Third Officer Pitman.I have also as i am sure most people have read up on Captain Smith and also Captain Lord.Hi Michael nice to hear from you i think we have a lot in common aircraft and ships.I am with British Airways here in Belfast where I work as a aircraft Dispatcher and load planner,I decide where the best place is to load the baggage and cargo or mail and the pax to get the best possible trim for the aircraft it is a great job as i have to work with the Flight Crews and the guys on the ground other wise known as the Ramp section,this is where i started work with BA 18 years ago which give me a good grounding for my present job.I was in the Royal Naval Reserve here for a while just so as I could get to sea but the thing was the whole time I was there the ship never left dock or when it did I was not aboard by the way it was a small minesweeper I can still see it sailing up and down Belfast Lough from my upstairs window.Well everyone I better sign of hope I have not went on to long BEST RGDS TO U Mike.

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
Hi Michael.

It's good yo get a bit more company from good old "Norn Iron"!

I live near Newcastle and I have that same strange sense of awe every time I see the shipyard. The place reeks of history!

Look forward to your posts on the site and even the remotest chance of your help to stow away on a flight to Barbados!

Regards

Sam

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
Hi Michael.

It's good yo get a bit more company from good old "Norn Iron"!

I live near Newcastle and I have that same strange sense of awe every time I see the shipyard. The place reeks of history!

Look forward to your posts on the site and even the remotest chance of your help to stow away on a flight to Barbados!

Regards

Sam

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Aircraft Dispatcher? Man, you have got your work well and truly cut out for you. I remember doing such calculations longhand for a Cessna 150 when I could afford to indulge my hobby with actual flying lessons. No calculator or computer except my trust E5B whizwheel. Still, it beats stalling out on take-off becuse CG isn't where it's supposed to be.

I seem to remember a DC-8 freighter in Florida which crashed because somebody forgot that lesson. You might have remembered this one. It was at the Miami International Airport. The thing was overloaded by 5000 pounds on a nice hot humid day where the density altitude was way up there.(As usual!) The plane stalled out on takeoff and that was all she wrote.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

E

Emily Cunliffe

Hi Mike,

Welcome aboard ET!! This site is great for all kinds of info!! And it's a great pleasure being able to talk with other Titanic enthusiasts! I hope you enjoy the threads on all topics and look forward to your messages!!

Best wishes
Em!!

P.s I agree with everyone else you are so lucky to live so near to the Titanics birthplace!

R

Rolf Vonk

Hello Michael,

Welcome on the message board! I'm Rolf from the Southern Netherlands. I don't have to tell you how nice this board is...just enjoy yourself!

Regards,
Rolf

Status
Not open for further replies.