Michael Poirier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
I am 23 years old and am a store manager. I have lived in Rhode Island all my life and as you know RI has many connections to the Titanic legend.

My interest began when I was eight years old when I saw A Night to Remember. From there, my mom carted me off to the library and I was hooked. I was pleased to learn a survivor lived within a mile of our summer home, but disappointed to learn that Marshall Drew died the year before.
The librarian was kind enough to introduce me to a local Titanic historian named Shelley Dziedzic
( past president of TI ). Shelley then introduced me to a young man whose knowledge is unsurpassed on the subject named Mike Findlay. He has always been extremly generous with his time and information. In our own way we formed our own version of " Our Coterie ".
We're friends from a thousand years ago and remain so.

My biggest highlight was the 1988 convention. Meeting and talking with the survivors was fascinating. Lousie Pope was quite free with hugs and kisses and Frank Aks was a kind southern soul.
There wasn't a bad apple in the bunch. And what was cooler than having historian Charlie Haas tie my tie?? My coup de grace was when Mike and Shelley arranged for me to sit with Marjorie Robb for the gala dinner!

But as I have grown, my interest has expanded beyond the Titanic. I began researching the Lusitania, Empress of Ireland, Vestris, Athenia, Morro Castle, Principessa Mafalda, Egypt, etc....
And one never gets over the thrill of talking to a survivor from a shipwreck.
In the course of research I am lucky to have been befriended by other historians and researchers like Geoff Whitfield, Bob McDonnell, Dave Zeni. As I collect survivors, I have also been collecting memorbilia from the famed ships and shipwrecks. Menus, passenger lists, programs, photos.

The only thing that is disappointing in the Titanic world is that in the rush to print a Titanic book, there is no cross checking information. It is sad when you pick up a Titanic book and your eyes are scanning for mistakes. Sadly very few authors actually dig for new info to be printed and stick with old standby accounts. We are very fortunate to have people like Mike Findlay, Alan Hustak, Don Lynch, Per Sebak and Senan Molony who go beyond the scope of general research.

Now advice for the novices. If you want to learn more. Head to your local libraries and also join the various Titanic societies. I myself belong to Titanic International, the British Titanic Society and THS. You won't be disappointed!

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Michael:
Hadn't seen your name for awhile since I dropped off majordomo and silverquick. Always nice to see your name and your hypothetical questions on who un-named passengers might have been in certain situations. You've really sent me looking sometimes, and expanded my horizon in the process, and I thank you for it. But you typed in your age as 23. Are you sure you're not dyslexic?

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Hi Mike:
I thought I hadn't seen you around the list in awhile. Last I read was your research on George Brereton in the ADB. Which is excellent. Hope your research is going strong!!!
Thanks for the compliment. I like to look over obscure accounts and find out who was who and what was what.
Hope to see your " Californians " book someday ( especially on the Clark family )
Mike
BTW, 23 is correct.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Michael,

I posted a message for Michael Standart asking him what his opinion is of the book Her Name, Titanic by Charles Pellegrino since I noticed in a couple of his posts he doesn't agree with it. He suggested I drop a line to you and get your opinion of it.

I'm reading the book right now and I'm finding quite fascinating, but I would like to know your thoughts.

Best regards,

Jason D. Tiller

Sep 12, 2000
Hey there Michael.
Thanks for the introduction to you. I noted that you are interested in The Vestris. In doing some research for another ET member who asked me to research something else I came across a Federal Reporter Second Series- Cases Argued and Determined in the Circuit Court of Appeals Volume 53 (2d) December 1931-February 1932 where it notes a case involving The Vestris (Liverpool, Brazil & River Plate Steam Nav. Co limited et all District Court SD NY September 15, 1931). I remembered your interest and I photo copied it for you if you would like it.
I repsect the daylights out of you Michael. You are a man wise beyond your years. And Shelley must be one terrific person. I look forward to meeting both of you one day.

Dec 13, 1999
Hi Mike,
I picked up the British Inquiry into the sinking of the Vestris (original copy) at a local used book shop. I paid, in your currency, about $3 for it!! I'ts the first bargain of its type I have ever managed to get hold of! If you want any information from it, Dave Z has it now and I'm sure will happily look up anything for you.
p.s. I've just written to Barbara Anderson McDermott - thanks again for all your help - you are a real friend.

Geoff

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Hello Jason, Maureen, and Geoff:
Re: Pellegrino. he may be a brilliant scientist, but an oceanographer and a historian he is not. There is a list of factual errors a mile long in his books. What is offensive is the way he makes up entire scenarios and conversations and presents them as facts. There is something called dramatic license, but he goes well beyond the scope of that. Charlie Haas wanted to use my review of his new book Ghosts of the Titanic. And unfortunately it is not too flattering. Edward Rowe Snow he is not. But if you want my full view on his books feel free to email me.
Re: Maureen
Maureen you are far too kind. And it would indeed be a pleasure to meet you as well. And that is very kind of you to do that copying for me.
My email is
[email protected]
I've been reading your postings for the past month or so and they are very insightful. It is nice to see someone with a fresh perspective and a sunny outlook. Yes, anyone who has the pleasure of meeting Reverand Mother ( Shelley ) is very fortunate. Hopefully I will be seeing her again soon. We have some draws to empty in her house. The other half her Kronprinzessin Cecilie menu has to be there somewhere! ( ha! ha! ). You had to be there Maureen the day I brought my steamship collection and she was sooo impressed she decided she wanted to find hers and put back togther. So we rifled through draws, trudged upstairs and downstairs, and sneezed our way through the basement. And when we found a good portion of it, we put it together in folders that we marked ( passenger lists, menus, programs, etc... ).
She thought I would be bored, but to me it was a challenge.
Re: My Lusy friend
Geoff-
That is quite a find you have. I'll definitely take you up on that offer someday. That and the visit! This week I go the photo shop and inquire about the deck picture being copied for you and I will send it out asap. It sits in a nice frame near my bed. Frank Naumann would be proud.
I am glad you got the letter off to Mrs. McDermott. She is quite a treasure.
And I must say this, it has definitely you who has been a dear friend.
Mike
PS Do you have a copy of George Slingsby's account? If not- I can send that as well. A bit dramatic, but definitely worth it.

Sep 12, 2000
Thanks for the information on how to reach you and the sharing on the steamship collection with Shelley.
Maureen.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Thank you and also for your e-mail. I will e-mail you for the full review of the book as I would like to know more.

That steamship collection with Shelley sounds very interesting!

It would be a pleasure to meet you someday.

Best regards,

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hey Michael,

Thank you very much for e-mailing me your review of Pellegrino's book. I'm aghast at the things that he says in his book.

I look forward to your review of his first Titanic book.

Best regards,

Jason D. Tiller

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Greetings Randy!
Yes, I hope your Turkey day was plump and festive. Unfortunately I have been helpful as a bump on the log, but thank you just the same.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.