Michael Tennaro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2000
re: about me

Hello all,

This post is for Kara, as she asked nicely not just once, but twice!

Titanically Speaking:
My interest in Titanic can be summed up in just three words; books! books! books! I started reading and collecting books on the subject about ten years ago. Like some of the others on this site, I am certifiable on the subject. My Great Quest is to own at least one copy of every book on the subject ever printed.

Considering the volume of volumes, and the deplorable lack of an inexhaustible bank account, this may be a lost cause, but hey! strive for the stars, right? So how many Titanic books are out there? In the neighborhood of 450 separate titles, and those are just the ones I am aware of. Plus there are more being printed all the time.

Personally Speaking:
My formative years were spent in Rockaway Township, Morris County, New Jersey. This is in the northwestern part of the state, in the foothills of the Appalachians. It is a beautiful part of the state (bet ya didn’t know there was such a thing, eh?), but these days the area suffers from a preponderance of people. way, way too many people. Commutes to and from work are measured in hours, or so I am told.

About 20 years ago I moved to Florida for the completely insufficient reason that my family was going, and I just sorta tagged along. Lived at first in Bradenton, then Orlando, but now am in the Tampa area; and have been for well over 15 years.

I am in my mid 40s, and pleasantly married. My wife, Tory, and I share our home with a pack of dogs whose size (of the pack, not the dogs) can vary unexpectedly, but currently numbers just three, Magic, Whimsey and Little One.

all the best,
Michael, (who really is) ‘TheManInBlack’ Tennaro

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
You're too modest, M'TMiB'T.
If memory serves me, don't you have your own bookstore? How many of the 450 Titanic titles do you have? Have you seen the Titanic Bibliography published by John Fry, which is available through the British Titanic Society?

Sep 12, 2000
Welcome finally to M'TMiB'T (aka Michael Tennaro, who really is the man in black).

Are you the man in black as in MIB or are you the man in black from Princess Bride. Just curious.

So, do you own a bookstore as in "I have so many books it may as well be a store" or do you really own a bookstore. To me 450 titanic books would be like owning a store.

Glad you posted yourself here and have very much enjoyed your postings on the Board.
Maureen.

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Mo:
You never cease to amaze me. "Princess Bride" is the only movie that we've watched more than Titanic, ANTR, or any other here at Herboldhaus.
(Sorry for the aside on your site, Michael).

Oct 13, 2000
Hello all,

Mike asked:
How many of the 450 Titanic titles do you
have? Have you seen the Titanic Bibliography published by John Fry?

I have about 150 of the 450 titles. I have heard of John Fry's bibliography, but have never been able to find it on the net. is it online? or just available as a paper version?

Maureen asked:
So, do you own a bookstore as in "I have so many books it may as well be a store" or do you really own a bookstore.

actually it's both! I do own a lot of books, but I also have a bookstore. am one of those very lucky individuals who gets to work at what he loves.

also, as I noted above I don't actually have all of those 450 books I mentioned, that's just how many I know are out there.

thanks for asking.
all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

p.s. Maureen, it's closer to Princess Bride, but with longer, darker hair and without the wonderful British accent. I had to do away with the mask too as it kept making people nervous. :).

Sep 12, 2000
Alas Mike (herbold) twas never meant for us to be together, I, with my golf game score of 300 on the first hole and you living on the biggest fault of the century where East Coasters Fear to Thread...I mean tread. .....ahhh....now, Andre the Giant, he was the true hero in that flick.

My video of Princess Bride has been seen, loaned out and totally gone beyond any human consumption figured by the Video Statistics Institute for Cruelty to Videos.
Have a great day...glad the CQD is over.
Maureen.

Sep 12, 2000
Dear Michael (aka TMiB). Oooooh, Tory has a hunk. Thanks for your response Michael. Perhaps when I get stuck in the book world absentism list I will turn to you to find what I lack in the area of books. But I still do not have the very common ones and try to fill out my collection a little at a time. Thanks for posting here. I knew that there had to be others who had seen the Princess Bride (or read it).
Maureen.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Michael,

Good to see your post here! Currently, I have 33 books on the Titanic and I'm always looking to buy more. That's quite a quest you have!

I have enjoyed your posts and I look forward to seeing more of them.

Best regards,

Jason

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Hallo, Michael MIB - Good to see you here. I've enjoyed your posts in other forums, and any bibliophile is okay by me :)

Inger

Jun 4, 2000
Hello Michael,

Or rather, a belated g'day. Good to 'meet' you at last
happy.gif

Ditto Inger on the biblio-loony stuff, but you've probably already worked that out for yourself.
wink.gif
I too am aiming for the 450+ eventually, although last time I checked my list it was 520 and counting... Should we just give up now?

And it's good to know the reference at last for TMiB.

See youse!

F

Rob Ottmers

Jul 21, 1997
Hi Mike,

You mention having spent some time in the Bradenton area. By chance did you visit the Central Library and learn about Samuel Ward Stanton?

Best Regards,

Rob

Oct 13, 2000
Hi Rob,

apologies for not messaging back sooner, have not logged onto the site in a week or so.

Bradenton was far enough in the dim past that my recollections are hazy at best. this was NOT due to the use/misuse of any controlled/uncontrolled substances, I just have a really terrible memory.

the one thing I remember about Bradenton was reading about this famous 'castle' in that town. drove through miles and miles of subdivisions and eventually found the remains of what was likely once a small shell/limestone structure.

as far as castles go, it was rather pathetic.
will have to plan a trip down there and check out the Stanton Connection.
all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack)

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
Hi there!

To me, "The Man in Black" is none other than The Intimidator himself, Dale Earnhardt. I've also heard of Johnny Cash referred to as "The Man in Black".

BTW, my sister has a greyhound named Whimsey.

Oct 13, 2000
Hi Tracy,

The Intimidator, huh? sounds like one of those World Wrestling Federation guys. right?

just kidding. Earnhardt is actually a NASCAR driver isn't he? sports is not something I follow too closely, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

my Whimsey is a little bit of this, and a little bit of that, but is basically a light brown colored, hound dog. he is a good friend.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Status
Not open for further replies.