Mike Norton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Norton

Oct 19, 2000
Well Allllrighty then.....

My name is Mike Norton and I am 32 years old (born in 1968). Although I live in Logan, Utah I consider myself a Californian (the State NOT the ship) as I lived there for a good chunk of my youth. I fell in love with the Titanic after reading Lord's "A Night to Remember" in the 3rd grade at the ripe old age of 8. I've been hooked ever since. I about wet my pants with excitement in September of 1985 when Ballard found Titanic on the ocean floor. I do believe that was the first copy of National Geographic I ever bought. When Tulloch went down and brought back pieces of coal to sell to finance his trips down I was definatly one of the first to buy a chunk. I had a gold chain with a glass vial filled with Titanic coal made for myself which I wear to this day. I own far too many books on the Titanic yet, strangely, I have never joined up with the THS. Perhaps someday. I LOVED Cameron's "Titanic" and about wet myself (I seem to almost wet myself a lot, don't I?) when I first saw the previews of it. Any movie that brings the Titanic to life like that movie did will ALWAYS get praise fromme.Who gives a rats rear end about the story line. The freakin' Titanic had come to life on the big screen in all her glory. The first time I saw it I had a kidney stone attack halfway through the movie and endured SEVERE PAIN for over 30 minutes before my wife finally talked me into going to the hospital.

I own virtually every copy of any and every book Morgan Robertson wrote and I have about a dozen SIGNED copies of the 1912 "Wreck of the Titan". I am still searching for the 1898 "Futility".I WILL find it. Mark my words. I also have found through the years 3 separate autographs of Carpathia Captain, Arthur Rostron. I've recently had one of them framed along with an original Carpathia passenger ticket and a Carpathia postcard mailed just 5 months after Titanic went down. The postcard sender even mentions Capt. Rostron and said "He is a fine man who deserves all the praise he has received." Cool huh?

Anyways, my fondness for Titanic has led me to another amazing ship with a long and colorful history called the Imperator. Launched just 5 weeks after Titanic went down, the Imperator was bigger and FAR more luxurious than Titanic EVER was. Later re-named Berengaria it was the last ship of Sir Arthur Rostron before his retirement.

Mike Norton

Oct 19, 2000
Yup. When it was the Imperator it was too top heavy and tended to list from one side to the other. Many people called it the "Limperator". They finally had to chop ten feet off the three funnels to get her to stop leaning to and fro. It would be an understatement to say that I have a large Imperator/Berengaria collection.

Nov 2, 2000
Wow,

Mike, your story sounds a little similar to mine in that I first read "ANTR" in 1975 and was hooked immediately! I did really like the Cameron movie, but in the same time wish it would have been more on the historical side especially regarding more emphasis on the Californian and the marconi officer. I was also pretty mad about the way he portrayed Murdoch shooting passengers and himself. There's no strong evidence anything liked that happened or if it did that Murdoch did it. Anyway, glad to meet you and happy posting!

Michael.

Mike Norton

Oct 19, 2000
Tracy, are you INSANE?!?!? That eagle figure head was SOOO cool. In fact, I swear someday I will find (and purchase) a replica of it that the Hamburg-Amerika main office had in their lobby for many years. It's sitting in storage SOMEWHERE.

Mike Norton [email protected]

PS: Is there a link to everyones e-mail address somewhere on here? It would sure be nice to be able to write people directly don't ya think?

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
I think "A Night to Remember" is responsible for hooking quite a large percentage of us Titanic buffs. For me, it was that book, plus seeing the 1953 "Titanic" on TV as a six year old in 1964 that got me. Saw the movie first, and then when I saw ANTR at a school book fair a few years later, I was hooked for life.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Mike,

Welcome aboard! The thing that got me interested in the Titanic was a book I got on her and her sister ships. I did a speech on the Titanic for school and then I saw ANTR, after that I was totally hooked.

I own thirty three books and I also loved Cameron's Titanic even though there were some errors in it. I didn't like the way he had Murdoch shooting a passenger and then himself. Their's no evidence to support that, but the movie really did bring the Titanic to life though.

I look forward to seeing your posts.

Best regards,

Jason

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Welcome former Californian. Be sure to let us know when you come back to visit. We'll leave the lights on for you.

Mike Herbold
Lakewood, California

Nov 5, 2000
High Tracy,
You don't like that ugly eagle at the bow of the Imperator. Do you know the reason for that eagle ?
The Imperator oversized the Titanic by some meters. So the Imperator was the world's largest steamer (at least for some time). But full of spitefulness the Cunard Line build the Aquitania with some meters more than the Imperator. Of course this was insufferable. The eagle was fitted to the Imperator to oversize the Aquitania again.

I just have some problems to surmount this explanation with numbers.
Length of Aquitania: 274.6 meters
Length of Imperator (without eagle): 277 meters
Length of Imperator (with eagle): 280 meters
(Let's dig for other numbers then).
Nevertheless it's a convincing explanation.

Unfortunately the eagle was not seaworthy and got it's wings broken by a wave. This was detrimental for the majestic appearance and so it was replaced by an escutcheon with the image of
- an eagle.

Markus

Status
Not open for further replies.