Millvina Dean

Dec 13, 1999
Arne, I don't think anyone has ever doubted that Mrs Walker's parents were on the Titanic. The problem is that as a foetus, she cannot be termed the youngest "survivor" which is what she and those who have attempted to promote her story have claimed. To survive an event, as far as I'm concerned, you have to have been actually born.
As far as the authorities are concerned, they have refused to enter Morley's name on the birth certificate as there is no actual proof that she was conceived before, during or after the event. The full story is much more complicated than that published in the newspapers.

Geoff

May 8, 2001
Well, weighing in after a much more knowledgeable person on this matter then myself, I couldn't really add much except the story is an interesting one. Hope you will share the second half of the story.
Sad to hear, if it is the truth, that her mind is gone.

Sep 26, 1999
Geoff, getting back on the subject of Millvina Dean, exactly how is she doing now? Has she improved enough to ever make a visit back to the US in the future?

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I do hope Millvina is doing well.

Phil, Geoff, Inger, and myself will, definitely, have to act as hosts for her 100th birthday.

BTW, Geoff, that means you, too, will have to rent a tux.
For George, we'll let him know that "Millvina is, truly, looking forward to seeing you there", and that will, probably, "lift his spirits such that he'll float over to Southampton".
happy.gif

John Clifford

Dec 13, 1999
John, "rent a tux" my dear boy! I had to BUY a new tux to attend the celebrations in Texas earlier this year to commemorate Cooks' hundredth birthday celebrations. Since being measured for my last tux - oh why can't you Colonial chappies refer to them by their proper names?- I'm reliably informed by my tailor that rental companies no longer stock the size that I require, but now hire them out as marquees for weddings etc! So this one is with me for the duration - I may well request to be interred in it!
As to Millvina, I received a letter from her several weeks ago and she is in remarkable spirits - nothing ever seems to get her down - so indeed, plans will go ahead to celebrate her 100th.

Regards

Geoff

Dec 13, 1999
Darren, Sad to say that Millvina no longer feels able to travel distances by any form of transport. Even short internal flights are a problem for her which is a shame but perfectly understandable.
Alma and I are off on Saturday to attend the 90th birthday celebrations in Southampton of Sid Sedunary, whose father, a third class steward was lost on the Titanic. Sid was, of course born posthumously. It has been arranged to present him with a portrait of his father, painted by an internationally known artist. Sid, like Millvina is full of fun and recently accompanied us on a tour of Canada - not bad for 89!

Regards

Geoff

May 8, 2001
Geoff. Speaking for all... Please send all the best to Sid from the ET board.
So great to hear Millvina is going strong. What an inspiration she has become to many of us.
All these birthday celebrations... I suppose you believe you will be celebrating your 21st soon right?? ;-)

Arne Mjåland

Oct 21, 2001
Thank you to Geoff and Colleen for reply to my message,
Here is the rest of the story:
Her grandfather, Tom Phillips was chief engineer for the Severn locks at Worcester but could not stand the local scandal after his daughter Kate returned from the Titanic disaster and gave birth at his Waterworks Road home.
Tom took his wife together Kate and her baby and set up in exile at Chesterfield. Ellen remained there for a few years until her mother married and went to live in Ramsgate.
Ellen recalls that her stepfather, a seaside cafe owner, treated her very kindly but her mother seemed always to resent her and was "spiteful", often hitting her.
In fact, her mother went on to suffer mental problems for some years, once trying to commit suicide and eventually dying at the age of 64.
Though not knowing the ecact details. Ellen says Henry Morleys brother or family paid a quarterly sum to her mother through a Sheffield solicitor for her upbringing until she was 16. It enabled Ellen to be sent to several private schools.
Ellen has since lived in London most of her life, is a retired cicil servant from the passport Office and was married to a London bus driver , though he died several years ago.
Late last year she felt a great urge to return to her roots, even through she left Worcester 72 years ago at the age of four.So it was that she moved home to St. Agathas road, Pershore and feels she is "back home"".
Her fathers deaath in the Titanic, together with three other Worcestershire men , was reported by Berrows Journal on April 20 1912 and I used the information as the basis of a "Memory Lane" feature in August 1986. It was reproduced in our "Memory Lane" Volume One book and recently, quite by chance, Ellen bought a copy to be confronted on one page by a photograph of her father, taken from a Barrows pictorial supplement of April 1912.
"I cried because I had never known what he looked like before. All I knew was that he had been good looking, about 6ft 4in tall and had some Spanish ancestry", says Ellen.
She stresses that one of the reasons for her return to this area is her dearest wish that she may be able to findsome relatives still living from her fathers family, especially his first daughter who would be 89 now.
Ellen, known to her friends nowadays as "Betty" points out that the Titanic disaster clearly had a great impact on her own life. It robbed her of her father and of being born and brought up in California "And had my mother not been one of the last people rescued that dreasful night, I obviously would not be here to-day"

May 8, 2001
Sayeth Geoff>>>See, I'm so old I put extra letters in words!!<<<
That makes up for MY mistake.... I left out a number... Meant to say 121.....
proud.gif

Happy Turkey day...
wink.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Colleen, Cook, and Geoff: your recent posts reminded me of an old "Muppets Show" joke, regarding the two old men hecklers, Staddler and Waldorf:
Regarding a skit on Shakespeare lines and terms:
Waldorf: "Now that really offended me. I was a student of Shakespeare"!
Staddler: "You were a student WITH Shakespeare"!!

(rimshot)

Anyway, Geoff, thanks for the information on Millvina. Looks like we'll all be making our plans to come to Southampton in February 2012.

John

Jul 24, 2004
Hi,

my name is Benjamin Kurtz and for all my life I have been interested in the Titanic (I don't know why ...) - could any of you please give me the address of Millvina Dean ? I'd like so much to write her, and also to ask her to sign me a photograph ... I know she lives at Southampton, England; but I guess this wouldn't be enough on the envelope for it to reach her ...

Thank you so much,

Best Regards,

Benjamin Kurtz

H

Harmony Heath

Is there any news on Millivna Dean? Last I heard she wasn't doing well. Just wanted to know.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Mauro, What information are you seeking?

Please note that Millvina will turn 93 this Wednesday (I have sent "Birthday Wishes", already; thanks to the US Postal Service, two of my postage stamps convey my sentiments). I think that many of us on ET can assist you, as far as information about Millvina's life, and her family.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Mauro,
John is correct. Also, survivors should not be contacted. All her known information is pretty much on this board anyway.
All Ahead Full!
Shane N. Worthy

H

Holly Peterson

Just for anyone who wants it, here is the complete list of babies on the Titanic and their ages:

Millvina Dean - 2m
Assad Thomas - 5m
Wiljo Hamalainen - 8m
Sibley Richards - 9m
Helene Baclini - 9m
Frank Aks - 10m
Barbara West - 10m
Trevor Allison - 11m

I'm not sure if I forgot anyone or not; these were all off the top of my head. Please feel free to add anyone I've carelessly forgotten.