EVENTS OF INTEREST IN THE SHIPPING WORLD
---
[Balance of headlines and two irrelevant articles omitted.]
---
White Star Veterans Sail
---
The Cunard White Star liner Berengaria, which sailed last Wednesday for
Southampton, had two senior former White Star officers on her list,
which is rare since the merger of the Cunard and White Star companies.

One was Staff Captain F. C. Crosse, R. D. R. N. R., and the other was
Chief Officer G. E. Barton, R. D. R. N. R. The White Star officers are
disappearing, one by one, from the joint service. Captain Peter Vaughn,
former master of the Majestic, who took the Olympic round to
Wallsend-on-Tyne to be broken up, is now in command of one of the A
steamships in the Canadian trade and is expected to retire at the end of
the year. The White Star captains and officers retire at 60, while the
Cunard officers retire at 63.
---
[Two more irrelevant articles omitted.]

-30-

Jo Rodriguez

Apr 24, 2006
Hi Inger, I thought you might be interested to hear that I recently bought a Passenger list for Baltic(ii)for a voyage from Liverpool to New York leaving Saturday August 10th 1929. The booklet lists James Kearney as Commander and the 2nd Officer is none other than J.G. BOXHALL!

Not sure which thread to put this in. Can someone move it if there's a more appropriate thread?

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
G'day Jo - I'm still working through posts that went up when I was on leave.

Great item! I have something similar from the Baltic with Boxhall on board - might even be from the same voyage (I'll have to look it up).

I have quite a few passenger lists and pieces of ephemera with Boxhall mentioned...even a book about a cruise in the early 30s in which he's listed. For some odd reason, it seems easier to come across his name than Lowe's, even though Lowe served on many of the same ships at the same rank, often within mere months of his former Titanic colleague. It's always great to come across these items - particularly when it's unexpected and unknown to the seller.

A great find - congrats!

Jo Rodriguez

Apr 24, 2006
Hi Inger, My husband was on ebay looking for stuff connected to James Kearney. Well I've spent 5/6 years looking for stuff like that and found very little so, when my husband said he'd found something, I was already excited then I looked at the photo and saw Boxhall's name! I could hardly contain myself. I thought all the Titanic people would jump on it but I ended up being the only bidder --- wohooo