Missing cylinders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Lee

Dear all,
I am sure that I posted this before, but it seems to have vanished. Oh well.

Anyway, as the ship sank, the break-up went through the forward set of engine cylinders, breaking them off. Have these cylinders ever been found? I don't recall anyone seeing them during the photographic or sonar survey of the ocean floor. Its been mentioned that the cylinders are underneath the section of boiler room 1 double bottom that was found in the debris field, but it doesn't look big enough to hide the cylinders.

My idea is that the stern section landed right on top of the cylinder sections......

Can anyone help?

Cheers chums
Paul

Adam Leet

The two forward LP cylinders were dislocated from the engine assemblies. As far as I remember, at least one was photographed in 1986. You can see the photo in Ballard's book Discovering the Titanic.

Adam

Paul Lee

Thanks...I have forgotten about that... what happened to the massive cyliner casings (uprights)?

Cheers
Paul

Adam Leet

I thought that was you were referring to. In that case, the casings themselves are what I was referring to. There's no evidence the cylinders themselves were dislodged from the casings, as I can recall, anyway.

Adam

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Adam!

A connecting rod from one of the engines was raised in a salvage dive a few years back, this suggests that the pistons are not dislodged from the casings, and if they are they would probably still be in the hull somewhere.

Best Regards,

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.