Missing girl may have emulated Kate Winslet

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Titbit from todays papers. An inquest was held in to the disappearance of a girl from a Brittany Ferry last year. She had been drinking in the bar for some while and relatives think she may have done a Kate Winslet on the prow of the Ferry. Where was Leonardo Di Caprio when he was needed?

Sad but not without some humour.

Apr 11, 2001
Am not surprised to hear it, and was just saying the same thing to someone this morning. For a long while after the film, many ships completely closed off that section of the ship to prevent would - be Kings of the World scenarios. All very sad.

Nov 26, 2005
>>For a long while after the film, many ships completely closed off that section of the ship to prevent would - be Kings of the World scenarios. All very sad.<<

Yes it is sad. Unfortuantely, it doesn't seem that many shipping lines have let up on that rule either. I'm not sure that it was entirely due to the movie, but I haven't seen many ships (looking online) that will let you out to the tip of the bow anymore.

I think it's sad because it's great to be on the nose of a moving ship w/o pulling any stupid "king" crap. Just to stand there and let the wind whip through your hair and against your skin is enough w/o standing up on railings with arms spread. But that's just IMHO.
happy.gif

Nov 26, 2005
Those are the only passenger carrying vessels I know of that will let you do it. I've done it once on the Staten Island Ferry, and once on a riverboat in the Mississippi, (though you really can't get to the peak of a riverboat). The Staten Island ferry was neat because the water was pretty choppy that day(nothing like you get on the REAL high-sea though I'm sure) and like you said, it really can be very much like a roller-coaster ride. And that's just in the harbor! I loved watching some of the people on the ferry lose their balance and sway from one side to the other. Kinda funny actually.

Apr 11, 2001
There's something sort of wistful about standing on the stern, watching the wake spread out behind, with the gulls screeching and the feeling of leaving things behind. I love the great old liners cleaving through the waves with the paint peeling off the knife-edge bow at waterline from surging white water cresting up each side as she cuts through the ocean. Now there's Romance!

Nov 22, 2000
Oh Shelley, you Old Romantic! I never get to see such things - once the ship is out of harbour I usually have my head jammed down the nearest lavatory pan!

Apr 11, 2001
O Geoff, Old Darling, you have been cruising with the wrong people! Come with me and we will toss petals from the Poop Deck, read Housman in a deck chair, have a rousing hand of Whist, sip Bovril's, and mourn our lost youth You can tuck me up like nanny in my steamer robe and after luncheon, we can go hear Miss Snodgrass on the viola da gamba playing Flight of the Bumblebee. and other favourites. I will wear the hat you adore- the one with silk mignonettes and there will be the scent of Parma violets on the salt air. Meet me at the dock for a midnight sailing on the tide. Of course Mrs. Whitfield should come too I daresay. I'm not that kind of girl! Forgive me- but I am waiting for a better offer than that empty cabin at the end of the corridor-you rogue!

Nov 22, 2000
I'm packing as I write this Dear Heart! The monocle I use for my good eye is steaming up already! I'll fetch my trusted "Jube Jubes" to counteract the Ocean's swell and bring along my dance pumps......just in case!

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I feel like an oaf clumping into the midst of this romantic tryst! Shelley paints a tempting picture of Housman and deckchairs (the highlight of that particular Titanic movie for me was Babs in a chair reading a verse aloud).

Shortly after the movie was released, I went to the Solomon Islands for a dive liveaboard trip. The crew was all local, save for the two Australian dive masters. They had been blissfully cruising through Morovo Lagoon and assorted wonderful Islands for months, largely oblivious to the world-wide obsession with Cameron's movie and hearing of it only second hand. As we sat on deck and they gave the trip briefing, they mentioned that if passengers wanted, they could make their way forward to recreate the 'singing on the bow' scene in Titanic - they gathered from the requests on previous charters that this was now a big fad.

'Erm...I think that should be "flying"', someone ventured to suggest. Nope, Mike assured us. he was quite sure it was 'Singing on the bow'.

So there must have been some interesting voyages immediately preceeding ours.

Fortunately I did get to spend some time perched up there...with cobalt waters and dolphins riding the bow wave as we moved from one perfect dive site to the next, 'flying' would have been gaudy excess!

Apr 11, 2001
Yes, that's the Housman I had in mind, of course now we must take some liberties and substitute "When I was one -and-fifty"!
Flying and dolphins and cobalt waters. Divine. Geoff and I plan to sing with the humpbacks, actually whilst hanging over the side, somewhat worse for mal de mer. You should just hear that counter tenor to melt tepid butter. I think you should pack your Louis Vuitton and make a fourth for bridge Inger! I have been practicing the Navajo Rag and the band is as slick as beets. so pack those patent leather dancing pumps Geoff- there will be three partners to appease.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
quote:

I have been practicing the Navajo Rag and the band is as slick as beets.
Ripping! Let me don those satin pumps and I'll be there - it'll be the cat's meow. Let's jazz it up a bit too - I have a green velvet 20s frock that has been getting a new lease of life this Christmas, so bring on the sheiks and shebas - floorflushers out on the decks!​

T. Eric Brown

Jun 5, 2005
Standing at the prow is usually frowned upon, not to mention impossible on many cruise ships. The one I was on in Alaska was deep in the crew section, out of reach of any passenger. I flat-hatted all over that huge ship just to find out what it was, only to discover that disappointing truth. They had a pool, hot tub, the works! You coulda, jumped about 20 feet onto it, but that would have been the only way!