1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Missing mid section of Titanic wreck

Discussion in 'Discovery / Salvage / Exploration / Exhibits' started by Ajmal Dar, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Ajmal Dar

Ajmal Dar Member

Hi all,
    Does anyone know if it is true that the centresection of Titanic is not there. I have read that the two sections of Titanic if placed together do not make 882 feet long. So this means that the ship was decending to the bottom of the sea, parts of the ship were breaking away from the area of the split in the ship. Does anyone have anymore knowledge about this claim of mising section of the Titanic.

Best regards,

Aj

2. Athlen

Athlen Member

See this: Breakup

It is a deck-by-deck analysis of what parts of the ship ended up where. I haven't seen any 'peer review' on the conclusions but it is fairly straightforward to notice that if you map out the bow section and the stern section you're missing a piece.

Ajmal Dar likes this.
  3. This article is from the hand of Roy Mengot and short of anything new being brought forward, is about as good as it gets. Roy was a very thorough researcher as well as an engineer.

The "missing section" I would point out, is not missing at all. We know exactly where it is: It's a shattered mess scattered all over an area roughly the size of Hyde Park in London. The breakup of the hull and the implosion of the stern section was an extremely violent event which left bits and pieces scattered everywhere.

Ajmal Dar and Kyle Naber like this.
  4. Aaron_2016

Aaron_2016 Member

The middle section is scattered in large chunks towards the northeast as the current pushed in that direction. I believe the middle section probably detached from the bow and stern and sank mostly intact and gradually broke up as it descended down towards the seabed and was carried towards the northeast with the current and landed far away from the stern which was heavier and would not have been pushed so easily by the current towards the north east.

thirdp.png

Survivor Carrie Chaffee saw the ship break into three.

"The ship sank steadily until just at the last, when it plunged rapidly. Just before going down it seemed to writhe (twist), breaking into the three parts into which it was divided. First the middle seemed to go down, lifting bow and stern into the air. Then it twisted the other way, throwing the middle up. Finally the bow went under, and it plunged, stern last."

Her account gives us a good idea as to how chaotic the break up was as the ship buckled and broke apart. Mrs. Hippach was in the same lifeboat (lifeboat 4) and saw something very similar. They were very close to the ship during the break up.

"The boat listed so much to one side (port list) that I felt sure we would be swamped. When we had rowed about 150 yards away from the Titanic we heard a fearful explosion. I saw the ship split open. At the same time the ship's bow rose up in the air as the steamer sank towards the center."

I recall another account from a UK paper taken when the survivors reached England. They witnessed the ship break into three and believed the middle section stayed afloat longer than the bow and stern. This could explain why large chunks of the middle section are far to the north east of the wreck, because it stayed up longer and drifted away with the current and sank further away from the rest of the ship.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Ajmal Dar likes this.
  5. Ajmal Dar

Ajmal Dar Member

Hi,
    Thanks very much for this information which is nicely detailed.
    All the best,
    Aj

6. Ajmal Dar

Ajmal Dar Member

Hi Michael,
    Many thanks for your reply and pointing me in the right direction.
    Best regards,
    Ajmal

7. Ajmal Dar

Ajmal Dar Member

Hi Aaron,
    Thanks for this interesting information.
    Best regards,
    Ajmal

8. You can have here a look about the break up and how the pieces landed where they are now today.

James Cameron also had a bid about it in his "Final Word".

9. Scott Mills

Scott Mills Member

From my understanding we know exactly where a portion of the double bottom hull is from the disintegrated section, supporting the notion that the "missing" section is indeed in little pieces scattered across a broad debris field! :D

10. >>From my understanding we know exactly where a portion of the double bottom hull is from the disintegrated section<<

There are two relatively large sections of double bottom in the debris field. History Channel posturing about them being a "great discovery" the reality is that they have been known since at least the early to mid 1990s.

the hyperbole aside, their importance from a forensic standpoint certainly wasn't exaggerated as they offered indelible clues as to how the break up of the hull really happened.

11. B-rad

B-rad Member

Hey Aaron, I know the above quote is old, but do you have a copy of that last stated survivor account? I am interested in reading it if you do. Thanks!

12. Aaron_2016

Aaron_2016 Member

Hi, the account is from a newspaper I read on findmypast or the British newspaper archive website. My subscription expired a while ago, so I couldn't find the article again. Will try and find it again one day.

13. Titanic is all there, if you had the mind and money to find each and every piece. The problem is that people keep referring to the bow and stern sections in discussions of what's on the bottom. From that point of view, the middle is defined as "missing" because it's not intact. Truth is, that mid section was crunched, scrunched, stretched, compressed and given about any other torture metal can endure. So, today it exists as steel confetti. But, it's there.

-- David G. Brown

PS -- I believe Mike Standart once described the middle as having endured "the world's largest Cuisinart."

14. >>PS -- I believe Mike Standart once described the middle as having endured "the world's largest Cuisinart."<<

That was Parks Stephenson who said that about what happened to the Grand Staircase. It was a reasonable proposition at the time given that the forces at play with the water cascading in would have been enormous. I understand he's long since abandoned that proposition in the light of forensic evidence uncovered since then.

All that aside, I would submit that it was more like a final failure in the hull girder being the straw which broke the camel's back. Once that happened, everything followed in a cascade where the sheer mass...now poorly or completely unsupported...worked against itself.

Something of a domino effect on steroids!

15. Maybe this is a silly question, hopefully not. But has there been any analysis recently into the breakup of the ship, or other developments in regards to the breakup?

16. Jane Smith

Jane Smith Member

I can identify 3 of those objects: the two double bottom pieces and the deckhouse of the 3rd funnel. But what are the other 3 pieces and where are they from

17. One of them i believe is the "Aft Tower" from the Aft Grand staircase

18. Jane Smith

Jane Smith Member

Also, what happened to the coal bunker between Boiler Room 1 & Boiler Room 2?

19. Aaron_2016

Aaron_2016 Member

This video clip discusses the coal that fell out of the bunkers when the Titanic broke.

Skip to 2:30

20. Jane Smith

Jane Smith Member

Ok that helps. I’m currently looking at the breakup map on wormstedt and it helps

So the 2 double bottom pieces broke off together and separated sometime during the descent.

The 3rd funnel deckhouse broke off and landed near the double bottom. Is it true that it took several decks with it?

The reciprocating engine casing broke off & took away the engineer's promenade and the aft grand staircase. Where did this thing land?

So the 4th funnel and 1st class smoke room walls & ceiling are somewhere in the debris field.

Boilers from BR 1 and the forward engine cylinders are in the debris field near the stern.

So what happened to the 1st & 2nd class galley. According to the website, it’s unknown