Missing Pieces

Titaniverse

Apr 9, 2014
So many pieces of the Titanic are missing, and they are very important if modern day researchers are ever going to find out how the break-up occurred. I am wondering if we will ever be able to find those lost artifacts. I think the break-up might have torn apart those valuable parts beyond recondition. What do you think? :confused:

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
I don't think there's any great science or mystery to why the ship broke in two. When you have a 900 foot long object that is half submerged and half hanging at a strong angle, there's tens of thousands of tons of pressure on the upright section and so it breaks at the weakest point in the middle. The ship was not designed to sustain that kind of treatment. The thing that surprises me more with the break up is that not all of the survivors even noticed it.

Cheers,
Adam.

titan

Sep 13, 2001
Mount Gambier Australia
although you have made a good point Adam, there are far too many accounts which say the stern broke at different angles, now these could be true because if it was a low angle then the split wouldn't have been as noticeable to the remaining passengers but if it was as great as so many say it was then it would have been yes, another possibility is that the ship didn't break up at the surface but split when it was fully submerged, perhaps the hull was weakened then as she slipped beneath the waves a few remaining pockets of air forced the stern to the surface. these are all theories of coarse and im not tying to sound to know it all

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Titan,

It's true that there are many different accounts, including some which suggest that the ship didn't split at all. This does indicate to me that the ship split very close to the waterline, which is why only those with the correct view at the time were able to say so - for everybody else, it would simply have appeared as if the ship was lunging around in its final moments.

The bow is in relatively good condition whilst the stern is a wreck, because it imploded from the force of the water as it sank. Obviously this is because the bow was already full of water when it sunk, and it may have dragged the stern down with it or it may have already been well on the way to the bottom before the stern sunk. Most witnesses claimed that the stern hung in the air for several minutes before it finally went under, but then again in that scenario I think it's highly unlikely that many people would have been taking exact notice of the time!

Cheers,
Adam.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
There is a particular bit of verbal evidence which clearly illustrates the vertical failure of the hull and when it happened. It was given by Trimmer Dillon. I quote:

"3858. (Mr. Raymond Asquith.) Before the ship actually went down did you see her make any movements?
- Yes, she took one final plunge and righted herself again.
3861. Did you afterwards notice something about the funnel?
- Yes..'......3864. What did you notice?
- Well, the funnel seemed to cant up towards me.
3865. It seemed to fall aft?
- Yes; it seemed to fall up this way.
3866. Was that the aftermost funnel?
- Yes.
3867. Did you get the idea that the ship was breaking in two?
- No.
3868. Did the funnel seem to fall towards you?
- Yes."

Dillon saw this just before Titanic finally disappeared...when standing on the Poop deck right aft and looking forward towards funnel No.4. If the funnel seemed to cant toward him... cant toward the stern.... then the position he was at went down and the part where funnel No. 4 was,went up correspondingly... characteristic of the ship coming apart vertically between funnels 4 & 3. Additionally, Major Peuchin, a passenger remembers seeing the Barber's Pole floating among some wreckage. That pole was originally outside the barbers shop on C Deck which was directly over the main engine room casing. This suggests that the ship split vertically at the forward end of the main engine room. Since Dillon also saw people tumble over in a bunch toward the port side, This suggests the ship first lurched to the left and because of the unequal buoyancy support, a twist was imposed into her hull which cause it to fail vertically. First on the port, submerged side. At that moment, thousands of tons of sea water would pour into and add sudden weight to the port side, to the forward as yet dry compartments and to the main engine room compartment. The result was catastrophic. The hull was torn apart. The aft end was also suddenly inundated and started to settle horizontally. Materials, including the barber's pole and wooden stair case sections were exposed to the sea and soon tore loose. On it's way down, the bow section would spiral, spewing bits out of the exposed end while the relatively heavy stern section would fall almost vertically. When the latter hit the sea bed on an even kel it was like a telescopic effect. the top hamper would try and meet the keel and the hole structure would be flattened and bulged outward at the sides. It is no wonder that bits and pieces of different and often complicated shapes would be strewn all over the place. After the wreck had settled, bottom currents would cause scouring. Parts would be covered and uncovers over the years.

Only the way I would envisage the course of events, not necessary what did happen but near enough I think.

Jim C

Pete Poston

May 20, 2012
Philomath, OR USA
So many pieces of the Titanic are missing, and they are very important if modern day researchers are ever going to find out how the break-up occurred. I am wondering if we will ever be able to find those lost artifacts. I think the break-up might have torn apart those valuable parts beyond recondition. What do you think? :confused:

Boy are you in for a treat. The entire wreck site was mapped by an expedition using side-scanning sonar, and the missing pieces were found, one the size of a small apartment building. The crowning jewel is the CGI re-assembly of the ship starting with all of the different pieces. You can find it on Amazon "titanic at 100 mystery solved". Highly recommended.