MISSING UNCLE

• Thread starter Terence George Stanford
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Terence George Stanford

I am interested in tracing any details of a lost relative whom was believed drowned on the Titanic, his name is unknown.he would have been middle-aged probably travelling alone,probably boarded at Southhampton, probably of Canadian or American origin,could have been related to someone in the British government of that period and is said (in our family group) to have discovered pop-corn.

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Terence:
Not much to go on there, although it would eliminate the Irish who boarded at Queenstown and most immigrants. But that would still leave a lot of possibilities. Can you give us any more details?

And I think popcorn goes back a lot farther than that, BTW.

T

Terence George Stanford

UNFORTUNATELY I CAN`T SUPPLY ANYMORE DETAILS,THE STORY OF THIS CHAP HAS BEEN THE TOPIC OF MANY CONVERSATIONS WITH NUMEROUS RELATIVES SPANNING OVER 40 OF MY YEARS AND THIS IS MY LAST HOPE OF TRACING HIM.THE FULL STORY DIED WITH MY GRANDMOTHER IN 1952.BEST REGARDS TERRY STANFORD

Sep 12, 2000
Dear Terrence,

I would first figure out your grandmother's age at 1912.

I would then figure out which generation (her own, her parents, grandparents....whatever) in relationship to her would have been at "middle age" in 1912.

Then check your grandmother's geneology chart for male family members who fall under that category.

Next, I would identify the male passengers who boarded in Southhampton. Identify the ones who were not of American or canadian background and eliminate them.

Cross reference these two lists.

This is just a thought to get you started but there are others out here with much better ideas for finding people.
best of luck to you!
Maureen.

T

Terence George Stanford

MY GRANDMOTHER WAS BORN 13/4/1888 THAT WOULD MAKE HER 24 IN 1912,HER SURNAME WAS FOLLY BUT WE DO`NT KNOW IF THIS WAS HER MOTHERS OR FATHERS NAME,SHE WAS ILLEGITIMATE SO YOU PERHAPS UNDERSTAND WHY SHE KEPT DETAILS OF HER BACKGROUND QUIET,IT WAS SAID HER FATHER WAS A MAN IN GOVERNMENT AND AT 4 YEARS OLD HER MOTHER WAS IN AN RTA AND HER FATHER SENT HER AWAY TO LIVE WE THINK TO WITH A RELATIVE IN CANADA,SHE CAME BACK WHEN SHE WAS 18,(1906)AND THIS WHERE THE STORY GETS VAGUE,SHE MET HER HALF SISTER AND WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN MURDERED BY HER PARTNER IN REGENTS PARK,BEFORE SHE DIED SHE ASKED MY GRANDMOTHER TO BRING UP HER SON AND DID SO,SHE THEN (SUPPOSED) TO HAVE SEEN AN UNCLE OFF ON THE TITANIC,BUT WHAT UNCLE ? REGARDS TERRY STANFORD

Sep 12, 2000
First Terry can I ask that you type in regular type and not use all upper case, it makes it harder to read for me at least, thanks.

Okay, what does the term RTA mean?

For ease of keeping track for me, I am going to assign bogus names to your relatives here okay.

Your grandmother = "jane" folly 4/13/1888
Your greatgrandmother = mamajane couldbefolly nee
Your great grandfather = papajane couldbefolly
Your great uncle = unclejane couldbefolly (or nee)
Your great half aunt = halfauntjane cbfolly or nee
Your great or great great level relative canadian

Canada would have been a colony still in 1892, when jane folly was 4 years old, but there should have been some official document that makes record of the movement of jane folly from UK to Canada to live with great great level relative and then back again.

Check out sailings from UK to canada in 1892 and scan information for 4 year old girls. Then check again in 1906 for 18 year old girls.

Find your grandmother's birth certificate based upon name and date of birth.

Research geneology sites for name Folly and "Jane" Folly's name and date of birth.

Look through registeration of RTA's from 1888-1893.

Also and the rest of this is just a theory, but Jane was only eighteen, so she was probably the first child to mamjane folly and so that makes Jane's half-sister a younger woman.

Check out nearby newspapers of the 1906-1912 period for Regents Park murders of a young woman younger than 18-24 years old. This may provide you with the identity of the half sister.

I also believe that Jane Folly's mother (mamajane folly) probably was also a very young mother who got into trouble as well, putting her at about 18 give or take a few years when Jane was born. The uncle I believe would have therefore been just a few years younger than that. This uncle would have been about say 13- 16 years old at the time of Jane's birth.

This means that you should look for a man on the Titanic of about 37-40 years old or younger who was born in the UK, using second class most likely on his way, I'll bet to canada to same relative.

Your grandmother who was born in April 13, 1888 had a last name of "Folly" and was just 24 years old at the time of the Titanic.

These are all guesses Terry, but sometimes Making a guess and basing some harmless research helps to find some information.

I am no research expert, but these would be what I would do if I were trying to find someone from the past in my family.

But there are many folks who do this sort of stuff and have been doing so for a long time. Perhaps they have better and more highly skilled ideas than me.

But the key here is to get as much information as possible.

Like your grandmother's full name? her birth country and city?

have no idea if this is useful or not, but i thought I would try to help.
MAureen.

Dec 13, 1999
Hello Terry and Maureen (my cheesecake girl!)
Wasn't third class passenger Daniel Coxon something to do with popcorn? Maybe he just sold it! He was middle aged and an American citizen - any help?
Geoff

Sep 12, 2000
Hey there Geoff, how's the computer doing? And also thanks for being of better help to Terry. Hopefully others will be able to offer insight here as well.

Maureen.

Sep 12, 2000
Wow, thanks Paul. Then I guess look for serious RTA's at that time with a fatality?

Use the infomration that Geoff provided in your search as well.

Maureen.

Status
Not open for further replies.