Mistaken Identity

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Colton

Olympic and Titanic were virtually identical externally.As far as I know, the only way you can tell them apart
is that part of the promenade on A deck was glass enclosed.
After the Titanic disaster there were numerous pictures of "Titanic" on postcards and papers
but it was actually Olympic that was pictured.Olympic had her bow disfigured as the name Titanic was painted in.
I would like to know if anyone has such pictures?

D

David Colton

Hi Cal,
Thanks a lot for the link.I found it very interesting.There were some
pictures there that I had'nt seen before.
Thanks

David

Dave Hudson

Apr 25, 2001
David (type C),

There were other ways to tell them apart externally. B Deck on Titanic was entirely different, with dozens of large suites instead of an additional promenade deck, which was found on Olympic. Because of this, Olympic's B Deck windows were all consistent, with only a few breaks for expansion joints. Titanic's B Deck windows were irregularly spaced, and the open promenade at the aft end was shorter.
However, Olympic's B Deck was later renovated several times, and so Olympic pics from the 20's and 30's show a similar window patern to Titanic.

Hope this helps more than it hinders.
happy.gif

David

D

David Colton

Hi David,
Thanks a lot for the information. I did'nt know that. There is something else I would like to know about the internal differences.
On Titanic there were 2 private promenades on B deck. Were there private promenades on Olympic?
Again, thanks.

David.C

Dave Hudson

Apr 25, 2001
The private promenades on Titanic were part of the suites on B Deck. See the deck plan on this website of B Deck. The private promenades are the two long, narrow rooms on either side of the ship just aft of the Grand Staircase.

Other B Deck additions included an expanded restaraunt, and the Cafe Parisienne.

Among To see the windows of the private promenades, look at a photo of Titanic and look at B Deck. The promenade is the long set of unbroken windows (slightly larger) just beneath the 2nd funnel. There was a pr. prom. on either side of the ship. Aft of the pr. prom. is a LONG set of evenly spaced windows-these are the B Deck suites. Uner the fourth funnel on this deck, the suites end and there is (depending on which side of the ship is showing) either 3 sets of 3 windows (the expanded Restaurant), or a long set of windows very close together (the Cafe). Aft of that is a shortened 2nd class promenade.

The primary reason that Titanic was larger than Olympic was because of the difference on B Deck.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.