Modelling the Smoking Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damon Hill

Hi Everyone. I am still plodding my way through my building of the model of the Smoking Room but have yet another question to ask. in the photo taken from the forward port bay looking back towards the fireplace, a reflection can be seen in the mirror of the forward wall of the port bay. there appears to be a squarish border of pearl inlay with carving and panelling around it. The reproductions of this photo and others that show these decorative elements are not that clear on what these things looked like really. Does anyone have any info on them? Thanks! Sorry if this question seems a bit long winded and obscure!
Damon

Sorry Damon, I don't think I've came across that image yet. One question though, the mother of pearl inlay is white? I've been wondering because I've seen several images of the Smoking Room but I've never been able to notice anything like that.

Damon Hill

Hi Tripp. Mother of Pearl is, from what i've seen in the shops etc, is sort of silvery with soft hues of other colours in it, like pink, green and blue...they have a soft, pearly almost metallic sort of look to them. The particular decorative items I was talking about in my first post are not that obvious when looking at photos of the Smoking Room. The photo I was referring to is printed in the illustrated version of A Night To Remember, Discovery of the Titanic and lots of other books...I'm sure you would have seen it, it would just be my description of the photo that makes it sound like one you haven't seen!

Ya know, now that I think about it, I have seen Mother of Pearl inlay before. When I was in band in middle school the buttons on my trumpet were capped off with that type of inlay. It's quite beautiful. I didn't quite get it but after your explanation that jogged my memory. Thanks
happy.gif

Hi guys,
I'm moving this to the modelling thread and re-naming it 'Modelling the Smoking Room' - you may get a bit more feedback in there.

Sorry - to be more explicit - I'm moving it to the modelling folder in Tech/Construc/Design..... but I think you both know where it is.

Damon Hill

Hi All. I've done more work on my Lounge and Smoking Room models over the last few weeks as my involvement with scenery painting slows down over the Christmas period. The amidships and aft port section of the Smoking Room are almost done, bar the furniture, and the Lounge still needs the aft starboard alcove and starboard funnel casing done as well as bits of the ceiling and furniture. Over the weekend I started a model of the Turkish bath too....if I get tired of working on one I can go and do a bit on one of the others. I'll post some pics soon.
Damon

Damon Hill

Here is a couple of snaps of the Lounge as it is at the moment and part of the Smoking Room funnel casing as it was about 6 months ago. A lot more has been done to it since this photo was taken.
Damon

Damon Hill

Hi Everyone. Still plodding along with the models. though I've hardly touched them much this year. I started to make one of teh Turkish Bath as well. It's been a busy year with lots of distractions..I wrote a show which combined the plots of three of the Gilbert and Sullivan shows together, which was performed in July...now that that is over I have a bit more time to do Titanic stuff.

Damon Hill

I have had a burst of model building the last few weeks and hope to have the Turkish Bath, Lounge and Smoking Room models finished in the next couple of months or so. I'll take some up to date pics along the way too. Damon

Damon Hill

That looks good Daeniel. I haven't finished my Smoking Room as there is still a lot more to do to it yet. I will attempt to load an image of it that I took a couple of weeks ago...I hope it works alright!
Damon
114098.jpg

Damon Hill

I haven't touched my models much at all this year...just can't get into the swing of it. The Turkish Bath and Lounge ones are done but the Smoking Room one has heaps still to do on it. I would love to make some staterooms in the scale of Barbie dolls...the amount of detail etc would be better....and my nieces would love playing with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.