Modern Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shelley,
My co-worker/friend tells me there are quite a few Brit shops in South Florida that sells the Flake Bars and other items indiginous to England. I'll try to get you an address. Maybe they can tell you of Brit shops near your area?
You're in Massachusetts, right? I know there's one in Connecticutt.

Kyrila

G

Gavin Murphy

What about Daddie's Sauce? This brown sauce started up in 1902 and while the punters in first class probably didn't have it on their caviar, I imagine the crew had it on their pies.

For those in the dark, it is similar to HP sauce.

G

Tracy Smith

Phil, in the US rubbers=condoms. I can just see you passing condoms out all over the US. Safe sex, and all that, you know.
proud.gif

Paul Rogers

Somehow, I think Phil knew that....
wink.gif

Whilst we're on sauces, we mustn't forget the one and only Lea & Perrins Worcester Sauce. My 10 year old lad has it on his chips! (French fries, that is.)

Regards,
Paul.

One of the great tragedies of modern times was changing the name of Marathon to Snickers (who's ever heard of the Battle of Snickers, or run in the London Snickers?).

Worcester sauce is lovely, chuck it on your cheese on toast!

'bout ye James.

Ever smoked Woodbines? I've got a couple of old metal advertising hordings floating about. By the sound of things you needed an extra lung to smoke them.

Regards

Sam

Paul Rogers

In my mis-spent youth, I went through a phase of smoking Woodbines (or coffin nails as they were commonly known). You could feel your life force ebbing away after each puff! We must've thought it was soooo cool, coughing and chucking up 'round the back of the bike sheds at school.

Whilst we're on the subject of name changes, who dreamed up the idea to change Opal Fruits into Starburst? And Treats into Minstrels!

Bring back Fruit Salads, Shetbet Dabs and Ice Pops, that's what I say!

Regards,
Paul.

I remember reading about Woodbines in an Agatha Christie book- and also something called Players brand ciggies. Am busy working on another webpage of brandname labels and advertising from 1912- the packages and cans ( that would be packets and tins to you all!) are truly works of art -stay tuned- am laid up on crutches for a few days so I feel a prolific mouseclicking session coming on!)

Shell & Paul, Oooh this takes me back to my youth! Who remembers "Five Boys" chocolate which pictured little boys from smiling through to crying? Palma Violets (I've just found a supplier!!) and Flying Saucers...but enough of this, I'm on a diet, have to lose two stone of ugly fat...Alma suggested I remove my head!

J

James Maxwell

Sam bout ye
Yep I have smoked Woodbines and your right you needed an iron lung to smoke them - but I wised up and took up pipesmoking instead - and while we're on that subject in those days there was St Bruno Flake, Erinmore and Bingo Bar, pipesmoking would have been more popular than cigarettes in those day's.
James

Valentines conversation hearts have been around since 1866-who knew?! NECCO (New England Confectionery Company) started up in 1847 by the Chase brothers in Boston. The familiar candy wafers in 5 flavors appeared in 1901, after Chase invented a lozenge cutting machine. These were so popular Admiral Byrd took 2 1/2 tons of them to the South Pole so his men could have unspoilable candies for 2 years. The conversaton hearts were at first called "motto" hearts and had little sayings like "Be Mine", "I Love You", "Marry Me" and such sentiments. Every decade added their own jargon from the 20's "Atta Boy" and "Oh You Kid", to the 50's "Cool Man"- I just ran out and bought a bag and am feeling historical sitting here looking through them. Do you have these in the UK? Imagine, our Titanic folks also munched on these and exchanged little boxes of them- hard to believe. Happy Valentine's Day.
55605.png

By a stupendous effort I cast my mind back to the '50s and '60s and recall these in the UK as 'love hearts'. But they weren't heart-shaped - just discs with the heart as a raised line. And the mottos were the original ones, not the updated versions. Not that I ever bought them, of course - strictly for girlies!

Status
Not open for further replies.