Modern Marvels Titanic Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 1998
Another program to mark on your calendars...the History Channel will air a new installment of its Modern Marvels series called "Titanic Tech" on 1 April (no, this isn't an early April Fool's joke). The technology of Titanic and the mechanics of the sinking will be examined. With the release of GotA later that same week (no, it's not a coincidence), the first week of April is shaping up to be a Titanic week.

Parks

M

Melissa E. Kalson

Thanks for sharing that with us Parks.. I do enjoy the Modern Marvels series. And just when I thought I had seen all there was to see on tv about Titanic! Sincerely, Melissa K.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Parks,

Thanks for posting that. Hopefully the History Channel will decide to air it here also.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Mar 3, 1998
Melissa,

You're going to continue to see more about Titanic on TV. The producer of the Modern Marvels series said that both the History Channel and Discovery Channel have learned that Titanic = ratings, and as competitors, neither wants to yield the field to the other. "Titanic Tech" was born when the History Channel called Actuality Productions and said, "It's time for a new Titanic program. Come up with something."

And it's not even 2012 yet.

Parks

Mar 3, 1998
After taking a quick peek at a TV Guide while standing in line at the supermaket this evening, I see that a re-run of the History's Blunders Titanic episode is sandwiched between the newer "Deep Sea Discoveries" and "Modern Marvels" Titanic segments. That's 3 hours of Titanic programming, not counting the encore presentations that will continue into the early morning hours. Looks like the History Channel has decided that next Tuedsay is to be a Titanic night.

Parks

N

Nathan Good

This sounds interesting, I wonder if the show will play anywhere other than the History Channel.

Sep 7, 2002
Glad you guys are on it...just got my History Channel e-mail update today!! Glad I checked. Looks like a mini Titanic marathon tonight!!!

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, all!

Ray Lepien will be making his TV debut on tonight's Titanic tech program. (The Michigan contingent is beginning to rival the Texas contingent.) :)

All my best,

George

Mar 3, 1998
Ray is one of three new faces to be seen in the "Titanic Tech" programme tonight. However, there is one familiar face...that of Ken Marschall. From Georgia to Michigan to California, Titanic enthusiasts seem to be everywhere. :)

Parks

N

Nathan Good

I have always been upset that I can't seem to get the History Channel up here in Canada. I've had to settle with History Television, a channel which I used to watch frequently but has lately seemed to be going downhill. They're not showing the program tonight so that was a dissapointment. I'm sure the rest of you will enjoy the show, wish I could watch it. I look forward to hear about it.

All the best,

Nathan

Mar 3, 1998
In my last post, I was thinking mostly about people who have posted here in the forum. Ed and Karen Kamuda, familiar to many of you (I don't know if they are registered with this forum), also appear in the programme.

Nathan,

If the reviews sound good to you, you'll at least have the opportunity to buy the programme on VHS from historychannel.com.

Parks

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
This is one fascinating show!!! Very well told and cool!!! Oh! commercial over, gotta go!
-Don

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Saw quite a few familier names and faces in that program tonight. Scott Andrews, Ken Marschall, Parks Stephenson, the Kamudas, and Ray Lepien. I hope it shows again this weekend sometime. It was way better then a lot of the stuff that's come out...and thanks to Parks, I understand the advantages of the rotary spark in the Marconi rig. Well done!

Mar 3, 1998
I hadn't seen the final final version of the show until it aired tonight. As various producers are discovering, whenever Ken and I are allowed to review the script, the changes can be endless. Some of the narration and animations were accomplished at literally the last minute. My hat is off to Matt Hickey, the producer at Actuality Productions, who did his best to accommodate Ken's and my suggestions. If the show was valuable, it's because Matt was willing to listen to his advisors.

I was glad to see Bill Sauder given a credit even though he didn't appear on camera, because his presence is always there whenever Titanic's technology is discussed.

Personally, I am much more comfortable behind the camera than in front of it. It was painful to see myself struggling for words, just because the red light on the camera was on.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a direct tie-in with GotA. This production was entirely separate from the Cameron project during the making, but I'm glad that someone was able to link the two together in post-production.

This isn't the last new Titanic production that will be made. My prediction is that there's new and even more exciting stuff yet to come.

Parks

Status
Not open for further replies.