Molly Brown

• Thread starter Georgia Lampbeth
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Georgia Lampbeth

What lifeboat was molly brown in and was she in the same lifeboat as someone with the last name Dewitt Bukater or Bukater?

M

Mark Bray

Molly Brown was in lifeboat 6. She was not in the same boat with someone with the last name Dewitt Bukater because Rose Dewitt Bukater was a fictional character in James Cameron's 1997 movie "Titanic." Jack Dawson and Rose were both fictional and never were on the Titanic. Hope this helps.

Mark :)

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I think Molly Brown was also the last person placed in to Lifeboat 6.
She had helped some of the other women, and decided to go see if she could assist the loading of the other boats.
At that moment two unidentified crewmen said "you're going to", and placed her in the lifeboat.

P

Philip Carter

There were no passengers called Dewitt Bukater as the entire family was fictional , created by James Cameron and Co , Molly Brown was in life boat No.6 , during the night she rowed and encoureged morale , she also awarded members of the crew a loving cup momento of appreciation on her return to America

S

sharon rutman

So far I've been disappointed with all the Molly Brown actresses I've seen. Don't be fooled by the musical Unsinkable Molly Brown--the Titanic appears in the background for a few minutes only! I cringed watching Kathy Bates totally wimp out at the crucial time when an out of control Hitchens screamed at her. No body has gotten it right so far. Marilu Henning? Cloris Leachman? Please spare me.

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
Who would you pick as an ideal Molly Brown, Sharon? I've thought of Rosie O'Donnell, but I'm not sure if she's got the acting ability to pull it off. She's the right physical type, though.

Jan 31, 2001
How about Roseanne?
proud.gif

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Kate Bortner

May 17, 2001
Well Tracy, I think she has the acting ability,(she's done some really nice things). . .but research shows that Ms. Brown wasn't quite so portly. I know an actres in Seattle who could nail her!!! Anyone out there working on a professional protrayal of Ms. Browne. . .contact me--have I got the actress for you. Actually I'm sort of keeping her to myself. I have a play that includes Margaret Browne and I want this gal to play her. I think Maggie should be an anomoyous (sp?) actress who the audience will accept without preconceptions.
-kate.

Dec 5, 2008
I don't know if any of you know this, but James Cameron originally cast Reba McEntire, but she had to drop out at last minute. Kathy Bates was only given the role a few weeks before filming. Personally, I would have liked to have seen Reba in this role, but maybe I'm biased just because I think she is a really great actress!

Was Molly as rough around the edges as she's portrayed? At least Kathy Bates didn't play her the young Granny Clampett that she's often portayed as.

Rosie O or Rosanne? Was Molly a meaty gal? The picture of her with Captain Rostran has her looking pretty svelt.

If I could choose anyone living or dead, I'd have loved to see Ann Miller play her. She's brassy and kind of rough, but you could imagine her being intelligent enough to accomplish what Molly accomplished.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I certainly wouldn't call Margaret Brown thin. A studio photo of her and her family from 1891 shows a woman of at least average build and made trim by her corset. She was never exactly a dish.

Dec 5, 2008
I saw a photo of her around Titanic era and she certainly didn't seem big to me. And granted, she was never a great beauty, but I she wasn't to bad looking, either.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Weight wasn't the issue then that it is today. Why we're even discussing Margaret's weight and not Benjamin Guggenheim's weight is very telling of our current societal attitudes. However, Margaret was indeed health conscious. She walked with purpose to strengthen her heart and lungs. Aboard the Titanic, she visited the ship's gymnasium daily after her strenuous walk. She loved the machinery in the gymnasium and was interested in using all of it under the supervision of Mr. McCawley. For most of her life she did manage to keep trim, although not thin. However, middle age spread plagued her in later years, evidenced in photographs displayed at the Denver Public Library, but she was not obese.

We're not being chauvinistic, Kyrila. We're comparing the actresses mentioned above with regard to their resemblance of the real woman. We've agreed that she wasn't the hillbilly that she's portrayed as and that she was a moderately attractive woman.

It's not weight. It's the actresses who have played her.

Kathy Bates, Marilu Henner, Debbie Reynolds, Tammy Grimes, Cloris Leachman...Reba McEntire was a might-have-been and both Rosie and Rosanne were suggested. Kathy, Rosie and Rosanne don't have much resemblance to the real woman...not only because of their body type but because they just don't fit what she was.

Marilu Henner, I object to just because of the actress and that I don't think she's up to the roles that she takes on.

Tammy Grimes was cast not because of her resemblance to the real woman but because she had an unusual and charming look.

Debbie Reynolds was cast because of her star power and her personality.

From all that I've read, Ms. Brown was nothing like any of the women that have played her and because of an unfortunate, poorly-constructed musical...we've got a mythic view of this woman that doesn't align with reality.

If Benjamin Guggenheim were in that boat and had been played by Brad Pitt rather than Vince Vaughn (cast by body type only), we'd be having the same discussion about him.

Dec 5, 2008
I agree with Jeremy, Kyrila, though I mean no offence to you (by the way, gorgeous name!
happy.gif
Very unique!), I don't think we're being chauvinists at all. We're simply stating the facts about Molly's appearance and somewhat her personality, and based on that, who would be an appropriate actress to play her.

While some of us appear to have different opinions on her appearance (no doubt some more influenced by today's media forcing air-brushed images of fake women in our faces at every opportunity), most of us are generally agreeing that Molly was in fact a mildly attractive, strong, vivacious woman who deserves someone closer to who she really was to portray her, and not make her into the loud, weak and occasionally uncouth character that she has been all to often turned in too!

If anything, I think we're defending poor Molly's honour!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I'd best advise you folks that Kyrila knows exactly how Margaret Brown should be played by an actress. She has written and played the role herself at a great many exhibits and presentations, and Kyrila's very well-researched 'Molly' is the real deal and everything you could wish for.

Dec 5, 2008
Oh, I don't question her knowledge at all, just what she said about our discussions on Molly in this forum. I was simply pointing out we're all for her, and not judging her appearance at all!

But thanks for the warning, Michael!
happy.gif

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I must say that I responded via email and therefore responded on the basis of the post that was forwarded to me from ET, and did not have the opportunity to see the previous posts. So I apologize for posting out of context. But thanks for the compliments, Bob!

Status
Not open for further replies.