Molly Brown

• Thread starter Georgia Lampbeth
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2005
>>There has always been a gap between real people and Hollywood--no matter who the subject is<<

Just one example :
Not the least of these was Sergeant Alvin C. York of WWI...He didn't look anything like Gary Cooper !....

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I have material about Margaret that is a bit much for a non-typist to transcribe fully.

It describes her appearances at the opera in Denver, well before 1912. She was evidently fashionably dressed and quite an impressive figure. One commentator did remark that she was far more lively and animated than other socialites, who seemed to adopt a blasé attitude, as if showing how worldly wise they were. This was seen as a positive.

Another writer mentions that she was a popular hostess, whose gatherings were entertaining in the best sense.

It's obvious from the Denver press that she was a notable figure in society long before her Titanic adventure.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
That's very true. It's a myth that she wasn't accepted in Denver Society. Her name was always featured in the social columns. She also put on annual shows for a local charity similar to Boys Town. She and JJ shared a love for opera and theater.

May 1, 2004
Considering all the opportunities Mrs. Brown took to improve herself (learning languages, acting, her personal appearance, etc.), she probably took pains to work on improving her childhood ways of speech. I mean, she would not have sounded like Missouri maiden but like a cosmopolitan lady.

By the way, is it true that, during a strike at her husband's mine, she provided meals for the strikers' families?

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Yes, JJ was torn because he really felt for the miners, even though he was one of the owners, and he couldn't do anything for them without causing friction with his partners. Margaret started a soup kitchen for the miners and their families. I'm not sure if the other partners' wives participated or not, but she might have twisted their arms.

May 3, 2005
>>Considering all the opportunities Mrs. Brown took to improve herself (learning languages, acting, her personal appearance, etc.), she probably took pains to work on improving her childhood ways of speech. I mean, she would not have sounded like Missouri maiden but like a cosmopolitan lady.<<

IMHO the Tucker McGuire/"Molly Brown" impersonation is one of the few flaws in our Beloved ANTR.But Tucker is completely eclipsed by Marilu Henning in the George C. Scott/Edward J. Smith version. The envelope please ! :The Racso (That's Oscar backwards) Goes to Marilu.

May 3, 2005
Jeremy-
>>Is it just me or does she bear a striking resemblance in this photo to Audrey Christie (Mrs. McGraw) in film The Unsinkable Molly Brown?<<

I think your analysis is "Spot On" !

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I totally agree that Marilu Henner was the worst! And I'd tell her to her face. And she had the gaul to go on a TV talk show and say that the film she was in was better than Cameron's film would be--and free, because it was on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.