Money Making Scams

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steve b

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths and the leave of morals that will take place in the name of the allmighty dollar. The reason i am dismissing this wedding idea is because all it is is a silly desperate reach for publicity and nothing more. Just as i feel the people who want to build the replica ship, theyre intent is not to serve history or future learning purposes, theyre sole intent is to make money off the Titanic name. I am becoming so disgusted by what i consider to be the vultures of society using Titanic every time a dollar sign flashes in theyre 'make me rich fast' minds. There has to be some way Titanic can be left alone in peace at the ocean floor. There must be something that can prevent any further pillage of the ship, and the people there can FINALLY rest in peace. Exploration for scientific or learning purposes i have no problem with, but anytime i hear about one of these schemes to make a buck, i keep getting an image in my mind of a coffin door of 1500 being opened. Is there any way that laws or such could prevent this in the future? Technically, who has rights to the Titanic remains, if anyone? This to me just seems to be the icing on the cake, and something HAS to be done so Titanic and her memories and people can finally lay in peace once and for all..Sorry for the ranting everyone..God bless a

M

michelle schwindt

I couldn't agree more. I am totally appalled by the entire thought of it. I heard it on TV this morning & nearly threw up. Isn't there anyway to stop this from taking place? I suppose not.

S

steve b

There has to be a way though. I mean there has to be a way international law can step in and make a unified front effort to put an end to this kind of garbage..It has to stop somewhere

Jan 5, 2001
International Law still debates whether the courts over in the United States has any jurisdiction over the British ship which sank in international waters that are, really, perhaps more Canadian.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Making money I don't object to, but tacky I do object to in the strongest possible terms. This little proposal goes off the scale on the tackymeter. Unfortunately, Steve, Mark is right about the ambiguity of international law. I wish it were otherwise because I quite agree with you. This thing really goes way past crossing the line of bad taste.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

S

steve b

Micheal sadly your right, but you just got to wonder anymore, is there actually a line that exsists that people wont cross to make a buck? You would certainly tend to think this would be one of those situations. What people lose sight of, is that when your throw in the Jack and Rose factor into this mess, this was a simple element brought into the movie to try and make something positive shine through, but where people really befuddle me is, not being able to grasp the concept of reality versus fiction. The replica ship is another great example. I have decided i would NEVER want to see it, simply because there was only 1 Titanic, and her fate was met. Maybe it wasnt meant for us to be seen. But for me to go and see a replica ship that will in many ways not even come remotely close to resembling the original, plus throw in the fact that coffee mugs t-shirts and coloring books will be available as you exit, the thought of that is enough to make your stomach churn up lunch. Although to show that fast money schemes are timeless, didnt a silent film actress on the ship appear in a movie about a month after the sinking? I beleive this was Dorothy Gibson if memory serves, and from i what read it was blasted and soon disappered from sight with no copies ever being found. I also read that that incident was so horrific on the young actress she became a virtual recluse. I guess what im wondering is, if there can be so much money spent on these hair brained ideas, isnt there a way we can collect money and put them into worthwhile efforts that would put an end to this nonsense and finally let Titanic have peace in its resting place? You wonder about the souls of these 1500 and wonder what they think, if they could be witness to this sham taking place at the site of theyre deaths. God help us all if this is what the world is reducing itsself

Dec 31, 2000
My heart is broken and outraged, and I pray to God that this couple will change their minds and have respect for those who lost their lives.

How would they like it if someone were to get married in their mausolieum, just because it was "cool" and "Jack and Rose did it".

God have mercy!

Beverly

Mar 20, 2000
Steve,

I agree with you.

On the Dorothy Gibson point, though, that movie was very successful with the public, if not critics. Its disappearance is not because it wasn't a valuable film. The only known negative was lost with many other Eclair films in a studio fire later. It would appear though, that none of Dorothy's films have been preserved, though I have a lead that one MAY exist in a British archive.

Unfortunately this state of things is not uncommon. Most silent movies have deteriorated over the years or were discarded by the old studios. One of the most glaring examples of loss in the genre, is the case of one of the top stars of the time, Theda Bara; only 3 or 4 films out of the 40 or so she made have survived.

Randy

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Steve, I wouldn't mind the venture capitalism if there was some dignity to it. Various Titanic memorial societies sell trinkets all the time and the books written keep the story alive for future generations to enjoy, think about...and hopefully...learn from. It's doable and done all the time.

Regretably, we live in a time where death and suffering is treated all too often as a joke, and there seems to be no end of people who will be all too happy to exploit that. I wish it were otherwise. Shipwrecks are not funny, and most of the people here who are members of this board understand that. Realistically, there is very little we can do to stop those who would turn horror into a carnival sideshow, but we don't have to buy into it and I certainly won't.

The one thing we do have is a voice, and I hope we continue to use it. An inability to stop the madness doesn't mean we have to stay silent about it, and we might just change a few minds. That's got to be worth something.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Status
Not open for further replies.