Moody's Final Scene in James Cameron's 'Titanic'

Tommy

Jul 21, 2012
United Kingdom
Your post was unclear, so I elaborated on the best I could gather from it.
I meant that I have never read any testimony by survivors or experts that he died any other way. The theory that he was crushed by a funnel is plausible because his body was covered in soot and was badly crushed.

Your source?
Again, it's all in the post above. Four separate quotes with the individuals who stated them. They have been reposted as well in many newspaper articles and literature.

If you also try to find hard evidence on Astor being crushed by a funnel, such as the source or even the quote that he was "badly crushed and covered in soot" I guarantee you there won't be much on the subject. It was one of those things that a survivor said one thing, and the press twisted words a little and got something entirely different.

Tommy

Jul 21, 2012
United Kingdom
I read on Wikipedia that his body wasn't crushed and that it was just a report that persisted for years. I admit that I was wrong and I apologise.

Tommy

Jul 21, 2012
United Kingdom
His article on Encyclopedia Titanica never said anything about him covered in soot. I'd previously read on the web and in books that he was covered in soot and crushed leading to speculation that he was crushed by the funnel. Now it says that it was a myth.

kyliereed

Mar 22, 2013
Kansas
Thank you everybody for replying! I really appreciate all the replies I've gotten-- and am looking at the inquiries right now! Also in the 1997 Titanic movie, it was definitely him shown hanging onto to collapsible lifeboat A (A?); I paused to make sure.

Once again, thank you!!

kyliereed

Mar 22, 2013
Kansas
Ah, yes, I found it!

"Senator SMITH.
Then what?

Mr. HEMMING.
I rendered up the foremast fall, got the block on board, and held on to the block while a man equalized the parts of the fall. He said, "There is a futterfoot in the fall, which fouls the fall and the block." I says, "I have got it;" and took it out. I passed the block up to the officers' house, and Mr. Moody, the sixth officer, said: "We don't want the block. We will leave the boat on deck." I put the fall on the deck, stayed there a moment, and there was no chance of the boat being cleared away, and I went to the bridge and looked over and saw the water climbing upon the bridge. I went and looked over the starboard side, and everything was black. I went over to the port side and saw a boat off the port quarter, and I went along the port side and got up the after boat davits and slid down the fall and swam to the boat and got it."

Much help! :)

kyliereed

Mar 22, 2013
Kansas
Also! I'm sorry for the rapid posting-- I was travelling most of yesterday and the day before so I didn't get a chance to look at this and, at the moment, am watching the movie so!

I think if you look carefully at 2:32:51, there's an officer down at the bottom of the screen; he certainly has Moody's actor's young, unwrinkled face and only one stripe (?) around the cuff of his sleeve. I'm nearly positive it's him, he's dragging the rope with him I believe. (I'm surprised his hat is still on :p)

Also rewatching the original scene I was talking about-- it was the overturned lifeboat, so it would've been Lightoller. My mistake!

Matteo-- Have you gotten the timing where you think you've seen Moody yet?

Y

ylla

I am sadden that moody wasn't really represented in titanic 97.

There was only two scenes with moody present . The bridge scene and the gang way scene. That is it.

Bruce Moody

Feb 8, 2018
I know this has been asked a lot, but we don't know the whereabouts of Officer Moody before the ship went down, correct? From Officer Lowe's testimony that seems to be the last anyone saw of him.

I was rewatching James Cameron's film 'Titanic' (mainly the sinking scenes and after, searching out for officers or historical facts that I knew) and, right before Jack's friend Fabrizio gets crushed by the first falling funnel, Offcier Moody is seen clinging to one of the collapsible lifeboats. At least, I'm nearly positive it's him because the only other officer that looked midly similar was Lowe, and he was already sent off on a boat.

Anybody have any other testimonies or interviews of people that may indicate where Officer Moody had been seen last?

Thank you!!
Once the ship had put to sea, Moody stood the 4–5 PM watch and both 8–12 watches, which meant that he was on watch with First Officer William Murdoch and Fourth Officer Joseph Boxhall when the Titanic struck an iceberg at 11:40 PM on 14 April. After spotting the iceberg, lookout Frederick Fleet rang the warning bell three times and phoned the bridge. It was Moody who answered the call, asking, "What do you see?" Fleet replied, "Iceberg, right ahead!"

Jack Philip

Jun 2, 2018
Moody had barely any speaking parts for such an interesting and underestimated person. Moody has been my most favorite Officer for a long time, and I pay close attention. Moody is last seen hold onto falls right after attempting to rush up the sinking Titanic, and here's how I know. The person on the falls is the only other officer that could be Moody, as he isn't seen anywhere else, and the only other officer seen is Wilde who is attempting to hold onto the Collapsible before being dragged off. Now, what happened confused me, when you see, supposedly Moody, on the davits looking around for somewhere to go, he vanishes in the next scene, that's because I found in a behind the scenes, that in that position on a different camera shot, it shows that the man who is supposedly the actor Edward Fletcher, Moody's actor, is seen swimming away, explaining where he went, and Moody was also more towards the davits and the side compared to Wilde who is still holding onto the Collapsible, thus most likely explaining that Moody's last scene was by the davits, although, the script says his last scene was where he answers the call from Frederick Fleet, but the actor of Moody had multiple parts, answering a command from Murdoch as one of the lifeboats were being filled, he was seen filling out something behind Smith when Bride tells him about the Carpathia, he is barely seen in the background of when Murdoch shoots Tommy and an unexpected 3rd Class Passenger. He IS the officer telling Cal and Spicer not to go into the bridge also. He is also seen running about in other areas as well during the sinking. Now, real life is obviously harder to tell, all we can tell is that after the events of the collision, that Moody was helping other places before most likely being approached to go and help supervise the launchings of 16 and 14. Oddly enough, after Lowe and Moody fight over who should go down in 14, Moody resists and stays to help 16. No other officer was heard of helping 16 except Moody, yet an officer was seen with a gun, who was not Lowe, as he was already gone, who was telling passengers to get in the boat, which was successful as it got what I believe to be about 48 people onboard, meaning either he, or Lightoller, who helped a tiny bit in that area that Moody and Lowe had been, and also Litghtoller tells of how he had a gun. Moody helped assist Murdoch with 13 and 15, and then moved back later to collapsible A where oddly enough, only Murdoch and Moody were seen, yet Wilde is depicted in the story of James Cameron's 1997 Titanic to have Wilde helping there. Yet, again, narrowing the suicide possibly, but some did say Wilde was there, but mostly about helping passenger, let's just say that Murdoch killed himself, and Wilde was soothing passengers, and Moody is left alone, then is forced to go and get the collapsible free. It is said than an officer had shot the davits, causing the boat to go off into water, this could narrow it down, solve the whole mystery, yet it doesn't. IN proof of Murdoch's heroism, the davit used for collapsible A was cranked up, meaning that the davits hadn't even been connected yet. This would mean no one shot it, maybe just a cover up for the suicide? Or they thought that's what it was, whoever saw that. Meaning we are still left annoyed. Here is what I think, Wilde was swept away, smoking his cigar, Moody had eventually gone down where Moody in the 1997 was, and Murdoch had shot himself before lowering the boat, which most likely means that the water hit the collapsible before anyone even had a chance at putting the davits on, which is very confusing. And for Smith? Well, I believe either Cameron or the testimonies of him jumping off, explaining his vanish, would be right. Good day to all, Jack Philip.