Morning After: Where were the bodies?

Aaron_2016

Former Member
What caused the debris, lifeboats, and bodies to drift so far east-north-east? Isn't it true that the southern edge of the ice field was not too far south from the wreck as the Gulf Stream crossed over and brushed the icebergs away to the east which caused great peril for the Carpathia as she had to change course several times to avoid the icebergs? Weren't there other ships like the Mount Temple that were influenced by Gulf stream? e.g.

Captain Moore
Q - After you got well under way, what speed were you making?
A - I should imagine perhaps 11 1/2 knots. Of course, perhaps she would have a little of the Gulf Stream with her too, sir.

Boxhall
Q - Did you realize that you were out of the particular influence of the Gulf Stream?
A - No, sir.

Mila

Well, Boxhall did not realize he was out of the particular influence of the Gulf Stream because he was not.
But I do agree that Howells's 150 miles is an overstatement. I think around 25 miles sounds more reasonable.

Aaron_2016

Former Member
While searching for 1912 articles related to the Titanic. I saw these two regarding the Gulf Stream.

Gulf1.jpg

Gulf2.png

Is this why the Titanic's distress position was wrong? Did they steam off course?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mila

I have read that the Gulf Stream was rather strong in 1912 because of unusually hot summer in Cariebean.
Besides there was nothing unusual in icebergs spotted in the place the Titanic sank. I have read that the icebergs in different years were spotted much further south, closer to Bermudas and Asores than to Newfoundland. Also, the Titanic sank not so close to the Gulf Stream, but rather close to the North Atlantic Drift, which originates from the Gulf Stream and appears to be cooler and fresher than the Gulf Stream itself. Also remember that where 2 currents meet the water is very choppy. The water was calm, where the Titanic sank.

Ajmal Dar

Dear Aaron,

Bearing in mind that we are talking 1912 methods of accuracy, then what is the real accuracy we could have expected seamen to be able to measure to? Surely there would have to be some error in their measurements as they did not have pinpoint accuracy methods/measuring instruments.

Regards,

Ajmal