Most accurate Titanic deck plans

Dec 7, 2000
In a thread some time ago we had a debate about the best Titanic deck plans. If I recall correctly, it was decided that the Eaton and Haas Titanic deck plans in their book, Titanic Triumph and Tragedy are the best deck plans.

In my own opinion, the best Titanic deck plans are those that Eaton and Haas base their plans on! E & H claim to add a few doors and more detailed descriptions on the plans - that may be so - but they likewise seem to be missing a few things.

I had ordered those plans from NARA. Although I ordered the entire plan, I only got the first page (I'm not sure, there may not be a second page (anymore?), I haven't asked yet - you see NARA is in New York).

I really like those plans, and they are the best and most accurate Titanic deck plans that I have seen. The best thing is that the plans were drawn by Harland and Wolff, and they are of Titanic - not Olympic.

Regards,

Daniel.

S

Stephen Stanger

Daniel you can get reproductions of the White Star deck plans very easily as they were taken from H&W and made pretty so the passengers could understand.
We have a couple of originals here at the Exhibition in fact.

Dec 7, 2000
Hi Stephen,

I don't know too much about plans, and have never made a search for them I have a few from books, or posters that I bought. I heard that NARA had a plan (which Eaton and Haas used to make theirs) so I ordered it. The plan from NARA that I have resembles the Eaton and Haas plan in their book (only it is more accurate). Is this also the plan you speak of? The plan that I have is only the first page showing boat deck to C deck, showing all accommodations. It's the same type of plan (1911) that is used in almost every book, only it shows the Olympic.

I do have a “pretty” plan, that was handed out to passengers, showing first class accommodation, but this wasn’t the plan I was talking of.

Daniel.

Dec 7, 2000
Hi Teri,

No, they're not on the web, but you can order them from NARA, unless they exists elsewhere as well. I'm not sure of how much they will be. The one page that I got cost $2.70 to photocopy, but I ordered a whole heap of other things as well, and there was also a postage and handling fee. I think they have a minimum that can be paid, which I think is $10 (if you're only ordering the plan).

The place is in New York, so I'm not going to order or ask questions till things calm down and settle a bit. I'm an Australian, and commend the Americans, especially the New Yorkers, who are strong and despite this tragedy are proving their strength and are returning to work and everyday life, even though for many it will never be the same - nor is there work to go back to for many.

Regards,

Daniel.