Most Titanic films show sinking inaccurately

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
The more we study the wreck, the more we find our depictions of the sinking in film to be inaccurate.

In 1958's A Night to Remember, the ship sinks at a high angle in one piece.

In 1985, the wreck was found in two pieces.

In 1997, James Cameron's film depicts the ship rising at a high angle and breaking in two.

Since then the wreck has been further studied, and there's a new theory that the ship split in half at a shallow angle.

Thus, the film that shows a more accurate depiction of the sinking is the 2012 TV miniseries, which shows the ship splitting in half at a shallow angle.

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
That the ship broke in a lower angle was first published after the 1996/1998 wreck expedition.
I guess it wasn't widely accepted until recently; just like no one believed the ship broke in two until the wreck was found.

And I've heard that despite these new findings, Cameron won't re-do his film to show the stern rising at a shallow angle before the ship splits. I think the film A Night to Remember would also look funny if it was edited to show the ship splitting at a shallow angle.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
The SNAME Report from 1998 had the shallow angle. It was also presented it the 1998 documentary "Titanic - Answers from the Abyss" by the Discovery Channel.