Movie on Wilhelm Gustloff

Zachary Lee

Apr 22, 2005
I recall hearing that there was a German motion picture made about the Wilhelm Gustloff and its sinking. Have you guys heard of it? If so, what can you tell me about it? Can it be purchased anywhere?

Zachary Lee

Apr 22, 2005
I found the name of the film. It's called "NACHT FIEL ÃœBER GOTENHAFEN." What do you guys know about it? It looks like they're selling the movie at various websites.

Jan 15, 2008
I just noticed that a new movie about the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff is coming out March 10th 2008. 'Die Gustloff'

It's a German movie (off course) It's a 3 hour movie (where have i heard that before) Filming has taken 6 years and the cost was a little over 10 million Euros.
This movie seems very interesting- just too bad about the German language (my German leaves a lot to be desired!)

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Hello Gaetane,

I have been following this project since it was announced almost 3 years back. Thanks for the screening date.
Hopefully they put it out on DVD w/ multi lingual subtiles English for me and Italian or spanish for you as my German is not very good either.

If you get to see it, please consider posting a review. In the meantime I hope these threads help you.

grazi

Martin

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/discus/messages/6937/44566.html?1193917353

http://www.wilhelmgustloff.com/

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/discus/messages/5672/121022.html?1189233229

Jan 15, 2008
Thanks for the links, Martin!

I ordered both movies on Amazon, so i will review it as soon as i've seen them. 'The Gustloff will only be in March...I don't have much hope for multi lingual subtitles in a German release...and if they do have subtitles i hope for English as for my Spanish/Italian leaves a lot to be desired too (I'm dutch, with an Italian father) Italian, Spanish it's all chinese to me...

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
"both movies on Amazon"? I thought hello.
I went and saw what llooks like aDVD for the new film but after some Babelfish work I came to the conclusion it is a book.

Another book I saw was

Die letzte Fahrt der Wilhelm Gustloff. Dokumentation eines Ãœberlebenden. (Gebundene Ausgabe)
von Heinz Schön (Autor)

"In the night to 30 January 1945 a Soviet submarine sank the WILHELM GUSTLOFF overloded with refugees and numerous wounded one by three torpedo hits GUSTLOFF. Thousands of humans sank with the former KdF ship in the icy Baltic Sea. The true dimension of this terrible tragedy remained however over long years uncertain. If one in former times still proceeded from 5000 to 6000 victims, Can Heinz Schoen prove beautiful today that at that time over 9000 humans found death? Into "the last travel the William Gustloff" it documents all details of this largest ship disaster of mankind history - and gathers thereby as many facts together as all publications over the TITANIC.

Exclusively Heinz Schoen reports to a very richly illustrated afterwards in chapter on the developing history of the of the same name of the Second Channel of German Television television multi-divisor, whose turning work from the outset advisory he, that belongs to the few survivors of the GUSTLOFF disaster, accompanied." -translated from Amazon by Babelfish

If this story is to have an impact beyond Gernmany it needs to cross the language barrier. This would involve it being translated to Englis and submitted to a major publishing company.

Martin
123561.jpg

Jan 15, 2008
that is the book, but select DVD in the first box of the search engine (of the amazon.germany homepage)and 'Die gustloff' in the other, then your gonna get the movie (it has no cover) and says 'vorbestelbarheid März 10, 2008'
the book can be purchased now .

Jan 15, 2008
MOVIE REVIEW for 'Nacht fiel über Gotenhafen'.

Okay, maybe i had too high hopes for this movie!
I was expecting that the whole movie was about the sinking of the Gustloff. (Like 'A Night to Remember' was about the Titanic!)
Well, guess again! IMO this isn't a shipwreck movie. It's more of an war/love movie with the shipwreck as the climax of the movie!!
The feature length is 94 minutes and the fatal voyage begins only 77 min into the movie!!
The torpedo only hit in Approximately 82 min into the movie. That leaves about 12 minutes of sinking scenes!!!! Now those 12 min of scenes where rather good but they were not enough to save the movie.
Mind you that the movie was entirely in German and had ONLY German subtitles for the hearing impaired!

Let me sum up the good and the bad...

BAD:

German Language and NO subtitles.
The first 77 minutes are a complete waste!
Too little sinking scenes!
expensive DVD
Not very accurate special effects++++SPOILER++++(in the movie the Gustloff sinks kinda like Titanic, in reality the Gustloff listed and tipped over to one side)

GOOD:+++++POSSIBLE SPOILERS+++++

Good panic scenes (for it's day at least)
Good scene with a crowed lifeboat being lowered and crashed into the ocean (scene takes only 10 sec)

So if you are expecting a German 'A Night to remember' with an accurate sinking and passenger account then avoid this at all cost.
If you like a war/love/history/(little) shipwreck movie then try this

What was funny of this movie is that is started almost identically like the 'A Night to Remember'
the first scene was of debris in water, followed with the baptism of the Gustloff and then the ship being railed into the sea.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
The following is an article from the net,.
note: this is auto translated, errors are not mine.

--------------------------

Special presentation of "The Gustloff" in Berlin

Berlin (dpa) The cinematic preferences by Angela Merkel in Berlin, little is known about film premieres she really is not. If the Chancellor to a public cinema decides, it is for sure: The film is its importance.
On Tuesday evening, the CDU leader among the guests a special screening of the ZDF Zweiteilers "The Gustloff" for the Bundestag. The film is about the biggest shipping disaster of German history. Like the ARD production "The Escape" he tells the fate of German refugees in the Second World War.
Besides Merkel came Culture Minister Bernd Neumann (CDU) and the President of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, Charlotte Knobloch, in the cinema in Potsdamer Platz. Director Joseph Vilsmaier ( "Stalingrad", "Comedian Harmonists") had been resolved after the screening. Both Merkel and Knobloch had assured him that they liked the film. "They were totally impressed." Knobloch called the film in the same breath with his Holocaust drama "The Last Ride" - it was so touching was that he would howl, said Vilsmaier. On stage, reported the director, who him to the project has inspired: Today's Union group chief Volker Kauder gave him years ago "the Gustloff in his ear set."
Among the guests at the special screening were "Gustloff" Actors like Kai Wiesinger, Heiner Lauterbach, Dana Vavrova and Detlev Buck. The ZDF shows the two-part 2 And 3 March. It is based on facts and testimonies, but the characters are invented. Around 9300 people drowned while sinking of the passenger ship "Wilhelm Gustloff", 30 January 1945 in the icy Baltic Sea. Most were refugees who anrückenden before the Red Army wanted to bring in safety. »« The Gustloff was, as the film shows, by a Russian submarine shelled.
Vilsmaiers emotionsreiches drama cost more than ten million euros, and is elaborately staged. "We had half as Stralsund Komparserie busy," said producer Norbert sour. During a special presentation in Berlin was an abbreviated version to see it for a lot of praise from the guests were. As a witness was Heinz Schön in the process as the 18-year-old survived the disaster and ZDF in the movie advised.
For some visitors came reminders high. Erika Steinbach, president of the Federal displaced, it would almost with her mother on the Gustloff «» driven. The film was very close to her gone, said Steinbach. And she said: "Each country has its own destinies and to work off." From another corner, there was political calm consent for the film: Left-Dietmar Bartsch politicians criticized the "many clichés", but he liked the music and theatrical performance.

Jan 15, 2008
I'm looking forward to this movie, but i'm afraid to get my hopes up after seeing 'nacht fiel über Gotenhafen'.
Let's hope at least half of the movie is about the sinking itself!

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
From my intel this film is worth $10,000,000 Euros in production budget.

I Understand Herr Vilsmaier intends the sinking sequences to be the equal of anything that James Cameron created.
My reading tells me the time sequence is from 3 days before the 31st until the day after.
One down side: There will be no subtitles on Die Gusloff DVD.
There must be connection with the west. Its the same with the Estonia disaster.
5 books in German but nothing in English.

Thank you for your review on NFUG.
the opening sequence do seem to mirror ANTR. This is not surprising given that ANTR came out the year before.

Have you seen Sink The Bismarck? I am watching it at the moment and feel the story is ripe for a high quality remake.
Is anyone up to doing it?

Martin

Jan 15, 2008
Sinking scenes as good as James Camerons 'Titanic'???? I certainly hope so, but can't imagine it! you're getting my hopes up!

Are there 5 books on the Estonia in German??
I knew only of one 'Die Estonia' by Jutte Rabe!
You are right there is a big need of english books on the Estonia sinking. There is one 'The Hole, another look on the sinking of the Estonia' but that book is mainly on theories about what made the Estonia sink and not on the sinking itself!
'the cruellest night' is a good account on the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff!

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
"'the cruellest night' is a good account on the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff!" and is out of print.
It was published when I was still in school uniform. the only other english language account dates from the 1970's and that is the novelish The Damned Don't Drown' by AV Sellwood, I saw this in my local village new agency and couldn't believe my eyes. What was the Wilhelm Gustloff???
To the Boy who grew up with the Titanic and Lusitania the was a new one.

"5 books on the Estonia in German??"
Yes I was surprised too.
Both Estonia and more so the Gustloff need english language exposure to lift it out of its footnote status.
If H. Schoen's latest book were to be picked up by a good publisher in the UK and promoted through the maritime magazines I reckon it would sell. Especially w/ a subtitled version of the new film on something like Rialto Channel or History Channel.

cheers

Martin

Jan 15, 2008
Okay, I just saw the first part of the movie 'Die Gustloff. It aired on ZDF about an tonight. The second part will air tomorrow.

The first part was very boring. Again this was more of an war movie. All that german that i could'nt understand didn't help eighter.
The previews for the second part looked better. I will let you know!

Mar 5, 2001
I also saw the first Part of the movie. It is great that, as german, my german is perfect. If you interestedt in the history of the Gustloff and you understand the language then it was a great first part.

Don't forget it is an Movie not an Documentation. Some parts a fiction like the Jake & Rose Story in Camerons Titanic.

Joseph Vielsmaier who made this Movie make a great job. And the Actors (specialy Kai Wiesinger and Heiner Lauterbach) made also a great job!

i search since round about two years on the cruises the Gustloff made in the time bevor the war. She made 51 Cruises bevor the war begins. But there is not complete list of all the Cruises. I meet Arnold Kludas some weeks ago and we talk about this list. Unfortunaly he could not help me to complet the list. He had not more Dates in his list then i am in my. He had become serval Dates from me to complete his own list.

so if anyone here has original Gustloff Documents like Menu Cards....please send me an scan so that we become a complete list in the next time....

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Yahoo News:

New film explores fate of Nazi Germany's "Titanic"
quote:

BERLIN (Reuters) - A new television film about the sinking of a Nazi ship carrying thousands of German refugees at the end of World War Two has lifted the lid on one of Germany's most painful memories.

The film, to be broadcast on Sunday and Monday, tells the story of the former Nazi cruise ship "Wilhelm Gustloff," torpedoed by a Soviet submarine in the Baltic Sea on January 30, 1945. As many as 9,300 people died -- believed to be biggest loss of life on a single ship.
More at http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080302/tv_nm/germany_nazi_ship_dc