Movie Recommendations

H

Helen Chetham

Can anyone please recommend to me Movies about Titanic. I have only seen Camerons. I have read the book 'A Night To Remember' but I have not been able to find the movie. I live in Australia and we don't get all releases over here. Also Books along the same line as ANTR.
Thanks
Helen

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
G'day Helen

You may want to ask in a music/video shop or the music and video section of a large department store whether they can order ANTR in for you. I believe I found my copy in David Jones (or Grace Brothers) on the shelf, but if they don't have it in stock they should be able to order it in. If worst comes to worst you should be able to order it online, or by contacting David Bryceson of Videovaudeville in the UK. When I was living in Oz he was very obliging about helping me expand my video collection, and the UK and Australia both use VHS PAL. I can provide you with his contact details if you like - he stocks a huge range of Titanic titles.

In terms of books along the same lines as ANTR, the first that springs to mind is my favourite - Geoffrey Marcus' 'The Maiden Voyage'. Unfortunately it's out of print now, so you may need to go via an online second hand bookseller. Wyn Craig Wade's 'Death of a Dream' is another suggestion - back when I was after it the bookshelves at Dymocks etc. were only stocking Ballard's book and the atrocious 'Titanic Conspiracy' (or, occasionally, Lynch and Marschall's Illustrated History - in pre-movie days it sold for around Aus$70, an horrific price back then). Pre-movie (and pre-internet for me) I had to ask the Dymocks staff to put a lot of titles on special order, but with the release of the Cameron movie there was a flood of titles hitting the Oz shelves. Some may still be hanging around, but if not large bookshops like Dymocks and Angus & Robertson are usually happy to put them on special order. Online purchasing was the easiest option I found to get books down under.

~ Inger

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Helen, be a cheapskate like me and wait till the ABC reruns ANTR for the umptieth time! I'll bet they do in April 2002. In my opinion it's not worth paying for anyway. I know I'll get howled down, but it's just one of a series of British movies of the period. All stiff upper lips and toffy accents. Whoever plays the Aussie Sylvia Lightoller is a right giggle. I especially love the ancient radio operator, Evans, I think it is.

As to books, the obvious follow up to ANTR is The Night Lives On, by the same author. It corrects a few errors and has much valuable material on several topics. For instance, Walter Lord sank the Samson fairy tale in this book, thanks to being allowed access to Leslie Reade's then unpublished The Ship That Stood Still. It should still be around in paperback.

Dec 8, 2000
LOL! Dave's advice is good, Helen. The ABC show ANTR at least twice a year, last seen only a couple of months ago during a late night Kenneth More-fest that ran over a couple weeks. Stiff upper lips and toffy accents absolutely abound in films like 'Reach for the Sky'!

If you can't live without a tape right now, you should be able to pick it up as a 'right price' tape or similar through one of the larger video sellers as per Inger's advice. (That's how I got my copy, only to see the wretched thing screened on the ABC within the month!) Last time I looked Kmart and Target had budget price tapes of SOS Titanic, the 1953 Titanic movie (with Barbara Stanwyck) and some cheap docos (standard unknown). Wait for the next 10%-off day. :)

Walter Lord's The Night Lives On is readily available here as a mass market Penguin paperback, ie under $20.

Cheers,
Fiona
An inveterate watcher of silly B&W Brit movies on Channel 2

J

Jan Kite

Hi Helen. Try amazon.com, they have a massive selection of books vids and dvd's.regards Jan BTS

A

Andrew Rogers

Helen,
You seem to have all the Aussies on your case!
Now all we need is for Daniel to put in his two-bobs worth!
The only thing I can add to the good advice already given is that you can try these two places for books;
http://www.dialabook.com.au
http://www.maritimebooks.com.au/main.htm
(I think the Marcus and Wade books that Inger mentioned are for sale at one these sites)
The Dymocks on line thing is quite extensive at; http://www.dymocks.com.au/
As for movies, I think you might be best to find out who owns a particular title and contact them or their rep here in Aust. Fox and Rank are two of the big names. I have spoken to both before and found them quite helpful. They will either sell it to you or direct you to someone who will.
Daniel Klistorner and myself get together (here in Sydney) every month or two and swap books, videos, journals and all sorts of info. If you are in Sydney we might be able to help.

Andrew

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
G'day Andrew -

Thank you for telling us that Dial-A-Book now has a website!!! I'm sure I was talking about the shop in another thread a couple of days ago, telling Fi she had to visit me some time when I'm in Sydney so we can pop down there - as you know Newport Beach is my suburb. I've been visiting the shop all my life - my Nana used to round up all the second hand books she wanted to exchange, and down we'd traipse. Have you been down to Newport to have a look at it? It's located up a side street, covers two shops, and is filled with a maze of floor to ceiling bookshelves. Many is the serendipitous find I've made in there, and their prices were superb. The women that own it are absolutely adorable, too - although they must well and truly be nearing retirement age now, and I know one of them has a son who is now working with them as well. Highly recommended for any Aussie bibliophiles - back at home I have shelves and shelves that Dial-a-Book has helped stock.

~ Ing

May 8, 2001
Did someone say Videos??? Ok here goes my humble 2 cents worth.
My favorite documentary is the A&E Titanic 4 pack special, followed by the National Geographic special, then several on passengers and Captain Smith, and finally the treasures from Titanic. I went wild as soon as Titanic came out, and a ton of videos became available, and I grabbed them whenever I could, but if it were now, the leads offered earlier are superb! You could always check ebay just in case. I got an extended copy version of the National Geographic special and even with shipping and handling it was only $5.00.
I used to go into specialty video stores ("Suncoast" for one, but don't know of an equivalent in other countries) and ask them to pull a keyword search. The could tell ME what they could order, and the price. I have found SEVERAL in the discounted bin, for 2.00 so I am always watching.
This is the time of year that stores like K-Mart are shipped special inventory for Christmas, and they pop up there too. I was rightly sickened when they got Poseidon Adventure in for 7.99 when I just spent 25.99 for it about 2 months before.
Just as an after thought, I wanted to add that if availability is the issue, if you happen to be a member of Titanic Historical Society, they have a nice offering of specialty videos, and, although they are not cheap, they would most likely be able to ship them to you! If you check their web site, I am sure they have a shop area that gives a listing of what they sell...
Good luck in your searches!
Sincerely:
Colleen

H

Helen Chetham

Thanks everyone,
Well I'm now off to check out some good videos and start some reading.....
Regards
Helen

May 5, 2001
> By Colleen Collier on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 05:23 am:

Just as an after thought, I wanted to add that if availability is the issue, if you happen to be a member of Titanic Historical Society, they have a nice offering of specialty videos, and, although they are not cheap, they would most likely be able to ship them to you! If you check their web site, I am sure they have a shop area that gives a listing of what they sell...

Hi Colleen.....

You should know that while the THS has alot of good things, they also have a NO RETURN policy, not sure if this covers defective stuff but if you buy something and you don't like it, you're stuck with it.

I know that after TITANIC ('97) came out, the market was flooded with documentary videos, the ones that were put out by TLC or DISCOVERY CHANNEL were excellent or the ones you saw on network that came out on tape were good...but the ones from these unknown companies were so bad, the tape quality was sub-standard on some of them. When the rush was on, I was out there picking through the Titanic-mania also but I became very selective once I realized how horrible some of these were put together.

One of the best Titanic videos I have is the 2 pack Titanic Special from Discovery Channel: THE INVESTIGATION BEGINS / ANATOMY OF A DISASTER.

While some may or may not agree with how good this is, I have seen this several times and DISCOVERY shows it on occaision and of course, as you stated in your post, the 4-pack Titanic A&E Special is my All time favorite Titanic Specials.......

Best Regards, Bill

May 8, 2001
William. Yes, the Discovery special is another very good video. It was well presented and had some thought provoking theories. As you pointed out, some will vehemently disagree with the correctness of it, but I still think that it was a You are correct about the quality. I have a few that the sound is terrible on, and was recorded in 6 hour mode, but thankfully they were maybe four dollars, so I just let it go, and like you, was a little more selective in my purchases.

I don't know of one that I don't like for one reason or another, since they may show a brief interview of someone like Bertram Dean, Frank Prentice, or the houses of Captain Smith, or survivors descendants that I hadn't seen anywhere before. I even have the Jack Grimm expedition. A waste for some since we all know how that turned out, but I am glad to have it for reference, and see what they did to try to find Titanic.

I'm pretty sure that T.H.S. has that policy just due to people who would purchase the videos, copy them for a few dollars, and return them. (As a part time video merchandiser, I see this "trick" frequently and it gets old!) I don't believe that T.H.S. means you are buying "as is", and if it was damaged and returned, they could play it and see that you were telling the truth. Thanks for clarifying that for everyone though. It was an important point, and I was only thinking of the desire to get the videos if they weren't available to in other manners.
Take care.
Colleen

Dec 7, 2000
Hi Helen,

Well, as Andrew said, you have all the Aussies here. I don't know where you live, but here in Sydney things have not been all that difficult. I was able to find a copy of "A Night Tot Remember" in Video Ezy (here in Hornsby) and also the 1979 Titanic. I've seen the 1953 Titanic only once in my life (back in 1992 or 1993 - I remember it was the night Keating won the elections) and have never seen it since, and have never been able to find it since. Some library sales have proven useful as I got a copy of the Marcus book for a very low price.

So, a search in some video stores or various libraries will turn up the videos and books that you want (unless you actually want to own a copy, then take the excellent advice of others provided above). I've been avoiding credit cards like a plague, but realised that my buying power over the net is limited without one, so I'm applying for one. Will certainly be taking the advice given above.

Don't really have much else to add, but since I'm an Aussie I felt obliged to say something and join this merry group!
happy.gif

Regards,

Daniel.

J

Joanne Seiferlein

Here are my favorite TITANIC-related videos in descending order:
1. A Night to Remember
2. James Cameron's "TITANIC"
3. A&E four-part TITANIC video
4.Discovery Channel--TITANIC: An-
swers From the Abyss
5.SOS TITANIC
6.CBS "TITANIC"
7.TITANIC (1953)

The 1953 film is extremely inaccurate, although from the photos of Lightholler I have seen over the years, the actor playing Light-holler in the 1953 version actually looks something like him.
And although CBS is No. 6 on the list, I still think that it's just about the worst version ever done. (At least in the 1953 version, poor Murdoch doesn't come off looking like a com-
plete idiot or amoral creepzoid.

May 7, 2006
Helen

ANTR was released on DVD in Oz about four or five months ago. This is an excellent buy and has a normal retail price of about $30.

Not only do you get the movie but a doco on the making of the movie. This is very interesting and worth the price of the DVD alone. For example it explains that all the groaning sounds as the ship is going down aren't added to the movie later but were the actual sounds made by the sets as they were being tilted on a giant gantry.

There is also other stuuf about locations.

Good to here from so many Aussies on the message board. I was beginning to think I was the only one.

A

Andrew Rogers

G'day Robert, I have been wanting to see that doco for years. I might chase up a copy and then make friends with someone who has a DVD player!
Andrew

A

Andrew Rogers

Ahh,I can't be bothered making more friends....I'll come over to your place.
That way I can make do with the friends I already have!!!
Thanks Mate

Dec 7, 2000
Better yet, I can borrow a projector and watch the DVD on the BIG SCREEN! Will just take down a picture frame and 'project' the image onto the wall. The results are amazing, I watched a movie like that last Friday.

A

Andrew Rogers

Warm up the projector, cool down the cans, I'm driving up to your place now!
Andrew