Moving Footage of Survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Sir George Behe, on another thread, opined: "You know, it might be interesting to compile a short list of moving picture footage that shows Titanic passengers and crewmen (aside from the widely-known Blackhawk Films Titanic newsreel footage, that is.) I know of a very brief film clip which shows Theodore Roosevelt and -- for one or two precious seconds -- Major Archibald Butt in the background."

I can add a favorite which I know many of us have seen - "The Making of 'A Night To Remember'". During the 'home movies' on the set, not only do we see the actors, director and crew but also a crowd of footage on Joseph Boxhall and Edith Russell. We even get to see Sylvia Lightoller as she chats with Sir Kenneth More. And, for a spendid 3 seconds or so, smiling his congenial English smile, is Lawrence Beesley (the only footage I have been able to find on him).

Best regards,
Cook

Mar 20, 2000
Lucy Duff Gordon was featured weekly in a popular newsreel of the late 1910s called "Around the Town," which was distributed by Gaumont. I have combed film archives for years trying to locate this footage but only reels dating post-1922 exist apparently.

There was a film taken of the Ten Allies Costume Ball at Madison Square Garden in 1916 which featured Lucy and there was a 1920 newsreel on Mary Pickford that included a shot of the actress greeting "Lucile" on the steps of her salon in Hanover Square but these appear lost as well or have not yet been catalogued in the film libraries.

The only footage of her in existence that I know of is a short newsreel in the ITN Archive which shows her attending the 1921 wedding of her niece Margot Glyn to Sir Edward Davson.

As to other survivors caught on film, I suppose most people are aware that Stuart Collett is in those newsreels taken the day after Carpathia landed. He looks much jostled about by the crewmen but is standing his own for the camera.

And if anyone can locate the newsreels that were made on the Ludlow mine massacre (1914?), I am sure Molly Brown is in them as she picketed, preached and based her campaign for Congress on that event.

Randy

Mar 20, 2000
Cook,

The ITN Archive has more footage of Lawrence Beesley in a newsreel taken at the premier of ANTR. He is interviewed in the foyer of the theatre along with other survivors, including a Mr. Pugh (?), a Mrs. Dutton, and a Mr. and Mrs. Davies (?). There is also a shot of Mrs. Lightoller greeting Kenneth More.

This newsreel was released 7 July 1958 and is 286 ft, 35 mm, with the reference # 53479.

Go to http://www.itnarchive.com and do a search under Titanic. There may be other films there too but this one I have in my notes.

Randy

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
A million thanks, Randy! I had not heard of this company, although I knew that SOMEwhere there MUST have been newsreels running and that Lawrence, along with his step-daughter Dinah, attended the premiere. I have ordered the tape and will see if they can accomodate me - will keep you posted. It will be such a treat to finally hear Beesley speak.

I owe you one, BIG time!

Warmest regards, as always,
Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.