Mr. Andrews' info

mueller

Apr 1, 2012
Today on facebook there was a fact on there that Thomas Andrews was the very first passenger from the southhampton port to board the Titanic on the day Titanic left on her maiden voyage . Is this true? If so , what time did he board? Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the name of the very last person ever to board the Titanic before she left Queenstown? Thanks for your time

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Mark!

>Now, we have no evidence of Moody going below to >find the Carpenter

Perhaps he didn't. If Moody was on the forward well deck when he spoke with Evans, it occurs to me that Moody might have been there to observe the results of White's lantern-assisted examination of the ship's side. If that was indeed the case, Moody's order to Evans to find the carpenter was probably given without any knowledge of similar orders having been given elsewhere by other officers.

All my best,

George

M

Max Nikulin

Just entered the forum after some long
'time -out' ...
How interesting that my post became so long..
And yet how far some posts are from the
first message
happy.gif
)

Hitch

Jan 6, 2006
I have a question about Thomas Andrews, and I hope I can post it here.

Douse anyone know where Thomas Andrews go to school?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
He was educated at home by a private tutor until the age of 11. Then he attended the Royal Academical Institution, Belfast, where by all accounts he was more interested in sports than book learning. At the age of 16 he left school and began his real education - as an apprentice at Harland & Wolff.

david wilson

Feb 17, 2004
Bob,royal belfast academical institution,to be politicly correct,locally known as "inst".One of the better grammar schools in the british isles.
regards.
dw.

L

Lynda Franklin

What religion was Thomas Andrews I have read that he was unitarian also,I read somewhere that he was presberytrian ,i think ?

[Moderator's note: This message, originally posted to a thread in the Crew Research topic, has been moved to this thread. MAB]

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The Andrews family were associated with the Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland. As the name suggests, this Church does not demand that its members subscribe to any particular set of doctrines, and many are Unitarians.

L

Lynda Franklin

Thanks for the info .I have one last question on Andrews I know he was Thomas Andrews Jr.However,I did not see a middle name for him or his father ,assuming he had one ?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I don't think he had a middle name. Even in legal documents he is identified as Thomas Andrews (Junior).

L

Lynda Franklin

What was his personality like ? Likes in the terms of music and books ? Assuming Thomas Andrews had any time away from the shipyard

L

Lynda Franklin

I am out of here. Ask a simple question and get a rude response.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Walter---

What does your response mean? It's not at all clear.

Lynda---

Don't let one message put you off. There's plenty of information about Andrews here and if anyone knows the answer to your particular question, there will likely be more posted.

Feb 8, 2007
I've not heard what kind of music he liked, except that he liked it. Books - his favorite book, (according to the Shan Bullock biography) was "The Life of the Bee" by Maurice Maeterlinck. He was a devoted beekeeper, since childhood.

Get the Bullock book - it's great, if a trifle over-the top. He makes our Mr. Andrews look like a perfect human specimen. I'm sure the man had a flaw or two, but in general, he seemed to be a fair, honest, hard-working, much-loved gentleman.

I think you can read the book online. It's called "Thomas Andrews, Shipbuilder." Google it, it should be easy to find.