Mr Edward Minahan 1st class Passenger

• Thread starter Scott Richard Maedke
  • Start date
S

Scott Richard Maedke

Hello just happened to see this site for thefirst time, I wanted to add a little of the deceased Edward Minahan. I live here in Green Bay Wisconsin and have many times visit the cemetary where Mr. Minahan is buried. It is a very sad chilling side note but his crypt over looks Riverside Dr. on high embankment and can be viewed easily from the road below, about 7 to 10 years ago a group of young vandals broke into the the crpyt and in some bizarre act of treasure hunting had stolen the skull of Mr Minahan. They were caught about a week later and the skull was returned. The news story rwan in the Green Bay Press Gazette if I am able to get an exact date or the actual news articles I will post them here. I realize that this may not be in good taste but none the less it is Titanic History.

Jun 8, 2002
Hello, Mr. Maedke, and welcome to the ET board! 'Hope to hear from you often.

Thank you for that information about the vandalism of Edward Minahan's crypt--sad and chilling, indeed. And you're quite right about the fact that this is part of the Titanic story and therefore worth examining, even if it's a bit gruesome. If you find the news story, please do share it with us.

Best regards,
Doug

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Scott:
I've got some old postcards of the Minahan Building in Greeen Bay. What can you tell us about this old structure?

Aug 28, 2005
One Thing I know about the minahans is that they actually boarded at Queenstown. In almost every book I have read, it says that 7 Second Class and 113 Third Class passengers boarded, but no First Class.

Dec 6, 2000
According to Lillian's biography, Dr Minahan was her 2nd husband: - "In 1903, while visiting friends in Wisconsin, Lillian met Dr William E. Minahan whom she later married, her first husband having died." - There is nothing in Dr Minahan's biography [or in Senan Molony's: The Irish Aboard Titanic], about him being previously married.

Apr 3, 2006
I found a record for a marriage between a William Minahan and an E. Mary Dignin. The marriage also took place in Wisconcin and had a daughter Maude. He is recorded as dying on the Titanic. I was just curious if this is a mistaken identity or not.

Apr 3, 2006
They gave it as 1893 in Jericho, Calumet, Wisconsin. It also said they were divorced but no year was given. They had a daughter Maud O. Minahan cir. 1896. There's no age given for Minahan.

Dec 6, 2000
Zachary,

Belatedly I have now had a look at Craig Stringer's: Titanic People, and yes it seems Minahan had previously married Mary Elizabeth Dignan and that they divorced. Mary later moved to NY City and took Maude with her.

Apr 3, 2006
Thank you. I thought it was interesting that it had never been mentioned before and I was also surprised to find a picture of the first Mrs. Minahan too.

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Apr 3, 2006
That's what I thought too.

Thank you for sharing that. I had no idea that Dr. Minahan had a previous wife and daughter. I know that Daisy usually gets mistaken as his daughter.

She must have been only a student when her father died. I'm curious as to the relationship that Minahan had with his ex-wife and daughter. You'd think a trip to Ireland to visit family would be something that he would have taken Maude too.

Jeanne Biebel

Oct 31, 2006
Does anyone know if Dr. William E. Minahan ever lived in Oshkosh, WI? I recently acquired a very old autograph book. It was originally owned by a school teacher in Casco, WI (near Green Bay), and the signatures are dated 1885 to 1899. One entry is dated 1899 and reads: "Compliments of W. E. Minihan, Oshkosh, 1899." Dr. William E. Miniahan from the Titanic disaster would have been 22 years old in 1899. Oshkosh, WI is just north of Fond du Lac, WI, which is where Dr. Minihan's practice was.

I live in Green Bay, and every year the local historical society puts on a cemetery walk called "If Tombstones Could Talk." Dr. Minihan is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery in Green Bay and he and Daisy are always included in the cemetery walk, being portrayed by local actors.

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Sounds to me like you've got the autograph of our Dr. Minahan, Jeanne, but I'll leave it to someone who's done more research to comment on whether or not he lived in Oshkosh.

Congrats on a great find!

I think you'll want to check his age, though. He's always been reported as being in his 40's when he died on the Titanic, which would make him older that 22 in 1899.

What an interesting walk! Daisy isn't buried at Woodlawn, is she? I thought she was buried in California, which is where she died. I know the topic was raised some time ago in a thread on passenger religions. It was mentioned (don't remember by who) that Daisy was buried in a very beautiful Catholic cemetery that, I thought, was in California.

On some rainy day, I want to hunt up more on the Minahans and, now, the Dignans.

The photo that Zachery was kind enough to post a link to didn't mention a married name for Mary Elizabeth or Elizabeth Mary subsequent to Minahan. I wonder what brought her to NYC? Dr. Minahan clearly did alright for himself but I wonder also just how rich his ex-wife could have been. His life was, according to the papers, heavily insured, but I assume it all went to Lillian. Though maybe not, if he had a daughter. But how cash rich could he have been?

If the Maude Minahan in the photo I posted a link to earlier is his daughter, than it seems (though not necessarily) that she was not only a Wesleyan student but a society girl as well, which would indicate (though not necessarily) that she and her mother were comfortably set up.

Jeanne Biebel

Oct 31, 2006
Thanks for the congats, Brian.

I have been able to confirm, through records at the library in Green Bay, that Dr. William E. Minahan did in fact live in Oshkosh, WI. In a book titled "Minahan - Early Green Bay History" it states that Dr. William E. Minahan lived and attended school in Oshkosh prior to going on to medical school in Illinois.

I am satisfied that I have the autograph of Dr. William E. Minahan who later met his fate on the Titanic and is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery in Green Bay.

The autograph book also contains the autograph of Dr. J. R. Minahan, and his entry is dated the same date as Dr. William E. Minahan, June, 1889. I believe this may be Dr. John R. Minahan, and he once practiced medicine in Casco, WI. The St. Norbert College stadium in De Pere (near Green Bay) was named after Dr. John R. Minahan.

Dr. John R. Minahan's older brother Dr. Robert E. Minahan (1858-1935) was also a mayor of Green Bay. He was a physician, surgeon and a lawyer.

"JOHN ROGER MINAHAN, b. New Holstein, Wis., graduated from Rush Medical College (M.D., 1889), and for two years practiced in Casco. In 1892 he moved to Green Bay, was joined by his brother (Robert Emmet Minahan 1858-1935) there in 1898, and the two doctors began to specialize increasingly in surgery. John R. Minahan was also chief surgeon for the Chicago and North Western R.R., the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul R.R., and for the Green Bay and Western R.R. He had numerous business and banking interests in the Green Bay area."

"The 3,100 capacity stadium was a gift of Dr. John R. Minahan of Green Bay, a noted physician and a close friend of St. Norbert College founder Abbot Bernard H. Pennings. Dr. Minahan's friendship with the Rev. Thomas G. Fox, O.Praem., the college's athletic director, and Dr. Minahan's interest in St. Norbert College sports prompted the gift.

Dedicated in 1937, the facility is one of only two lighted football fields in the Midwest Conference. The Green Knights traditionally play their first home game each fall under the lights."

The autogaph book I have was originally the property of John E. Cashman of Casco, WI, and he was a school teacher. There was a man named John Cashman that once ran for Wisconsin senator and lost. The original owner of the autograph book and the man who ran for office may both be the same John Cashman. I have not looked into this further, as I am so enthused about the William E. Minahan and John R. Minahan autographs.

Dr. William E. Minahan's sister, Daisy, continued to suffer from health problems after the Titanic disaster, and she moved to California. She died in 1919 and is buried in Calvary Cemetery, Whittier, CA near Los Angeles.

Am I missing something about Dr. William E. Minahan's age? He was born in April, 1867. He would have been 22 years old when he signed the autograph book in 1889 and 45 (almost) when the Titanic sank in 1912.

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Your purchase sounds better and better. And that book about Green Bay history sounds interesting too. I've always been especially interested in the Minahans, I guess because they were unusual among the first class passengers in terms of their background and where they lived.

And his autograph was dated 1889? In your earlier post, you said it was 1899. That explains the confusion. Easy slip.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello Jeanne,

Welcome aboard. Congratulations on a wonderful find! It's a terrific feeling when one comes across a signature such as this, as I've been fortunate enough to experience it myself.

Absolutely terrific!