Mrs Benjamin Guggenheim

Jul 19, 2003
I forget what exactly happened when Mrs Benjamin Guggenheim (née Florence Seligman) did when she learned of the other "Mrs Benjamin Guggenheim", Mme Aubart. Was there any correspondence between Mme Aubart and the Guggenheim family after the disaster? What was Mme Aubart's maiden name, and I forget the names of the two men to whom she married after the disaster. Does anyone know the name of M. Aubart? Far too many questions, I realise, but hopefully there is a historian out there with the answer (I am certain of it).

Also - what became of Mrs Clarence Bloomfield Moore (née Mabel Swift) after her husband's death?

I thank anyone with a response to these questions.

May 12, 2005
There's a brief account of this in the biography of Peggy Guggenheim, Ben Guggenheim's niece I believe. I think the book is just called "Peggy." Can't recall the author's name. It's not an old book - 1980s? It's either in this book or in the more recent illustrated biography of Peggy. Ben's mistress, Mme. Aubart is not mentioned by name but she is referred to as a "pretty blonde" & I think there's a reference to her being a singer. Someone who knows more may be able to help to confirm this.

Lou Kerr

Feb 6, 2010
Randy and Jeff,

Peggy Guggenheim was Ben's daughter. I have the biography at home and can furnish you with publication information if you wish to find a copy.

Regards,

Lou

Jul 19, 2003
I thank you both for the responses - I recall Peggy Guggenheim (later Ernst) and her being the one with the interest in her father's arrangements with Mme Aubart, but there was information that slipped my mind from months and months ago. Otherwise, thank you again.
Lou - I, too, have a brief biography on Peggy Guggenheim in my encyclopaedia collection, but I think it may not be as much as you have. If you would like to send me what you have, you may email me at jmkrothes@home.com, and I in turn can send you what I have.

Thank you both.

Lou Kerr

Feb 6, 2010
Hi Jeff

The book is Peggy, The Wayward Guggenheim by Jacqueline Bograd Weld, E P Dutton, NY 1986.
The ISBN # is 0-525-48431-0. Chapter 4, which is only 5 pages, deals with the Titanic and Ben Guggenheim's death.

Also an FYI for anyone who, like me, read your original message and knew that Ben's wife was not named Florence but couldn't remember her right name. She was born Florette Seligman. If you are interested in additional information on the extended Guggenheim and Seligman families, Stephen Birmingham's Our Crowd is an excellent starting point.

Best regards,

Lou